Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Running Rich?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 May 2012, 11:49 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Running Rich?

Our 03 GT with 117,000 miles seems to be running rich. This is the parts car that we had the head milled and reassembled. Most of the other issues with getting it to 100% have been resolved, but now that it is warming up in AZ another problem has surfaced. With the A/C on the engine surges at idle and with it on recirc as stop signs we can detect a smell. It is not exhaust-smells more like a rich mixture. I am wondering if it is time to replace the injectors or?
Old 04 May 2012, 12:21 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Running Rich?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikster View Post
Our 03 GT with 117,000 miles seems to be running rich. This is the parts car that we had the head milled and reassembled. Most of the other issues with getting it to 100% have been resolved, but now that it is warming up in AZ another problem has surfaced. With the A/C on the engine surges at idle and with it on recirc as stop signs we can detect a smell. It is not exhaust-smells more like a rich mixture. I am wondering if it is time to replace the injectors or?
Does it bog or feel 'sluggish' when driving it? How about with giving it some throttle and bringing it up to speeds quickly?

Seeing as how you've got an 03, the stock fuel injectors are pink (527cc). Do you have the appropriate injectors installed? If they're black with blue or brown rings, then they're 577cc and are found in these applications;

2003 Stage 1 kit
2004+ Turbo PT (they come factory-equipped, stock)
2004+ SRT-4 (also come factory-equipped, stock)

I remember when I pulled off my older injectors, the rings that act like gaskets/seals to the fuel rail were deteriorated which could cause a slight leak.

Try to find out where the smell comes from.

No engine codes right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
Kawi is a friggin genius!
Old 04 May 2012, 02:24 am
Young Cruiser

It seems to have plenty of power and accelerates good. The surging at idle only happens when the a/c is on, as does the smell. The odor seems to be coming from the front right side. The exhaust does not smell.
Old 05 May 2012, 06:33 pm
Young Cruiser

Got an interesting idea from the NAPA manager. He told me that while working for dealers in AZ they found that folks always run their A/C on recirc. It causes dust, etc to build up and that it often smells like unburned fuel. He suggested running the A/C on outside air about half the time and that eventually will cure the problem. We could not smell the odor anywhere except inside at idle, and at the front fight side of the car. Haven't found any ideas on the surging at idle with the A/C on.

Tags
a/c, exhaust, mixture, odor, smell