Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
problems with the wife's 08'

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 May 2012, 05:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default problems with the wife's 08'

when she is driving down the road the car runs fine and the a/c blows ice cold. when she comes to a stop light and is at idle for a minute or two the air will start blowing warm and when the a/c compressor turns on it will darn near kill the car. when she gets it back up to speed it runs fine. the alternator and battery both tested out fine. i started the car when it was cool, turned the a/c on high and i can hear the fan running and i can hear it turn off when i turn the a/c off. please help!
Old 04 May 2012, 05:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: problems with the wife's 08'

Did you have the A/C system checked for the proper high and low pressures?

The way your explaining things, the first thought is the fan but you say it's running properly so you have to look for something else. It's also no overheating so the whole problem seems to be with the A/C system itself.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 04 May 2012 at 05:56 pm.
Old 04 May 2012, 05:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

i have not. we've had it for two years and this just started three days ago. if the compressor is doing it's job and it isn't being released while at an idle the pressure will be elevated. i read another thread on this site where his symptoms were like mine, except my fan works when the a/c is running
Old 04 May 2012, 06:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Exactly, your fan is running so you have to assume the problem is with the A/C system itself although the symptoms are that of the fan not cooling the compressor down.
Old 04 May 2012, 06:51 pm
Senior Cruiser

The fan may work at one speed--but does it work at both speeds? Your symptoms indicate that the fan is not cooling your A/C condenser. I'm guessing that the high speed of your fan is shot. When it's working at low speed you can't hear it, really, but at high speed it's a very noticeable whirring noise.

Check (by looking with a mirror if you have to) if the low speed is working when at idle and the A/C is on full blast. Check the fan's high speed by just listening to it roar ....

Tim
Old 04 May 2012, 10:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

drove the car this evening.... as soon as i started it i checked the fan, it wasn't on. i then turned the a/c on and i could hear the fan running. i even lit a smoke and watched the fan suck it all in. i then drove about 6 mile in town (lots of stop lights) with the a/c turned off, all fine. pulled into a parking lot left the a/c off and the car running to make sure the fan would cycle like it should, and it did. i then turned the a/c on full blast and stayed parked for a few minutes, the fan kicked back on all ok there. so i drove back through town with the a/c on and it never missed a beat. i was with my wife this afternoon when it started acting up so i know it wasn't her imagination, but i don't know why it would do it then and not now. the car never rose above normal operating temp this afternoon or this evening. the outside temp was 81 when we had the problems this afternoon and it was 86 outside this evening when i drove it. any suggestions?
Old 05 May 2012, 07:53 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Had this issue too, the dealership refused to help cover it, so had to pay and get it fixed elsewhere.
Old 05 May 2012, 01:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by twotone View Post
Had this issue too, the dealership refused to help cover it, so had to pay and get it fixed elsewhere.
what was the final fix?
Old 09 May 2012, 05:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Will someone please explain the two stage fan?
Old 09 May 2012, 06:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rust View Post
Will someone please explain the two stage fan?
The fan has two speeds unless it's a turbo then there is the same fan and motor but it's a variable speed (through relays) controlled by the computer. The Non-turbo has two relays (high and low) that control the two separate speeds.

Usually the speed is controlled by the computer through use of the ECM, coolant temperature sensor plus the relays. When the A/C is turned on, the fan (by the ECM) is turned on and stays on as long as the A/C is running and will go from low speed to high when the coolant temperature sensor says it's reached a particular point.

That's the way I understand it to work.