PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

2001 radiator fan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 May 2012, 06:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2001 radiator fan

Ok, I know there is a history or bad fans. I have replaced them in two different cruisers already (father-in-law and brother-in-law).
2 weeks ago I replaced another one with a new assembly on a 2001 base model cruiser for a good friend. It ran perfectly for the past two weeks, but two days ago she experienced a burnt smell and smoke briefly. Shortly after that the engine started to get hot.
The first thing I verified was if the fan was running or not. It was not. I then checked fuses and relays. All checked good. Checked voltages at the fuse and relays while engine was running. Showing 13.8-14.1 volts.
Was checking the fan out then when I realized I couldn't turn it. With effort I was able to break it free from what felt like brushes burnt and semi-welded to the motor. It now turns freely with an occasional internal grind of rough brush to motor contact. Obviously, the motor still doesn't run.
The company is sending another fan assembly due to abnormal failure, but at this point I want to make sure that something else couldn't have caused. Dont want to burn up another fan.
Is the 13-14 volts an acceptable level for the fan motor?
I will verify that I don't have any shorted wires, but I would have expected a blown fuse from a short.
Anyways, any thoughts would be appreciated.
Jim
Old 04 May 2012, 06:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 radiator fan

Jim,

I'm no expert but I would think you shoudn't have more than the 12 volts the system needs to run everthing. The only time more than 12 volts is needed is when the battery needs extra voltage from the alternator to keep it charged and the regulator (built into the PCM) sees this and sends the extra voltage to the battery.

I used only 12 volts to check both speeds of the fan and it was bad on the low side but the high side ran just fine on 12.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 04 May 2012, 06:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Makes sense.

Additional info, with key on-engine not running it was approx 12.4 volts. So the alternator is pushing the 14v. I did notice that the battery terminals are pretty corroded, so I will clean those to see if it doesn't help that issue.

...but I would still have to wonder that the fan should be able to take 14v since the alternator will push that when the battery is weak, like after an initial start up.

Idk, don't want to drag this repair into more than it is, a burnt up new fan, but I am hoping that's all it really is. LoL
Old 04 May 2012, 08:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Typical charging voltage on a '12 volt' system is 13.8 - 14.3 volts when a vehicle is running, especially when you first start it up. Voltage on the entire system will be the charging voltage. A fully charged battery will show about 12 volts when the vehicle is not running and you are not pulling a heavy load from it. 13 - 14 volts should be no problem for an automotive 12 volt motor.

Wingerbill
Old 04 May 2012, 10:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingerbill View Post
Typical charging voltage on a '12 volt' system is 13.8 - 14.3 volts when a vehicle is running, especially when you first start it up. Voltage on the entire system will be the charging voltage. A fully charged battery will show about 12 volts when the vehicle is not running and you are not pulling a heavy load from it. 13 - 14 volts should be no problem for an automotive 12 volt motor.

Wingerbill
That is exactly the information I was looking for. Thanks!!