Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
And here we go again, sort of...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 May 2012, 02:28 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default And here we go again, sort of...

After determining I've got a blown head gasket, I have to dismantle Mater again. After about 500 miles on the S/C I have to take it all off to get to the head. Here we go, thank goodness for air tools!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN4108.jpg (89.1 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4109.jpg (79.7 KB, 61 views)
Old 05 May 2012, 03:58 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Dill
Default Re: And here we go again, sort of...

You are joking right? Is this thread in the joking forum area?

It is right?

If You Have Not Already, Add Yourself To The PT Cruiser Members Map!

To Learn More About My PT Cruiser And Its Mods Visit My PT's Blog At www.PickledPt.blogspot.com
Old 05 May 2012, 04:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Was this done before? Or is it a new problem?

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 05 May 2012, 05:06 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

@ Dill- Unfortunately, No Joke.

@ Busted- Some thing new.

Took Mater out the other day on about an 80 mile trip, on the way back bout 15 miles from the house started getting hot, not in the red zone but one mark before it. Got into the driveway, miss firing like crazy. Pulled the plugs and #3 was coated. Did a compression check, nothing in #3. Got #3 up to TDC and pressurized the cylinder and was leaking into #2 & #4. Took off valve cover to be sure I did not have a broken spring or a sticky valve. All good there. Before I put on the S/C I had 168lbs across the board, not so much now.

Pulling it apart right now, soon as I do I'll post some more pics.
Old 05 May 2012, 06:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabreezai View Post
@ Dill- Unfortunately, No Joke.

@ Busted- Some thing new.

Took Mater out the other day on about an 80 mile trip, on the way back bout 15 miles from the house started getting hot, not in the red zone but one mark before it. Got into the driveway, miss firing like crazy. Pulled the plugs and #3 was coated. Did a compression check, nothing in #3. Got #3 up to TDC and pressurized the cylinder and was leaking into #2 & #4. Took off valve cover to be sure I did not have a broken spring or a sticky valve. All good there. Before I put on the S/C I had 168lbs across the board, not so much now.

Pulling it apart right now, soon as I do I'll post some more pics.
Well that sucks! I hate it for ya. Hopfuly no damage to the head. Might be a good time to port and polish that head?

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 05 May 2012, 08:36 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Well that sucks! I hate it for ya. Hopfuly no damage to the head. Might be a good time to port and polish that head?
I would not wish it on upon anyone! it's a PITA. I'm used to it from back in the day when I used to go drag racing with my buddy's. We could tear it down and put it back together twice in one day, running both times. Then again the cars were built to run and be able to work on. Not the PT! One bolt at a time I guess!

WHILE IM IN THERE! Was thinking about that and maybe some cams? Header? Any thing I can do to the top end while I got it apart! What do you suggest?

Last edited by fabreezai; 05 May 2012 at 08:45 pm.
Old 05 May 2012, 09:57 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

OK. I got the head off, sort of. Forgot to unbolt the heat shields off the head to get it completely off the engine. However I was able to get the head gasket out............

The head gasket looks perfect. Not good news. Damaged something else. Will find out in the am when I get the head completely off and inspect.
Old 05 May 2012, 10:15 pm
Veteran Cruiser

That stupid support bolt for the exhaust manifold?

You could use 2.0 cams.

Headgaskets never look bad, I swear leaks between layers or something.

Don't worry, once you've done it a few times, you'll be able to turn it around just like the olden days.
Old 05 May 2012, 10:44 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownSport View Post
That stupid support bolt for the exhaust manifold?

You could use 2.0 cams.

Headgaskets never look bad, I swear leaks between layers or something.

Don't worry, once you've done it a few times, you'll be able to turn it around just like the olden days.
Thanks Uptown-

Yep, that stupid one.

What will the 2.0 cams do for me?

Already, got it down, like the old days, had it down this far already, except for removing the head so no sweat. PITA was having to remove the fender to get to the S/C components. But I knew that already.
Old 06 May 2012, 12:11 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

OH BOY!! I REALLY DID IT THIS TIME! MAMA IS GONNA BE PISSED!

Got the head off this morning and............. Well I'll let the pictures do the talking for me.

Beer at my house.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN4112.jpg (95.4 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4113.jpg (92.2 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4114.jpg (80.1 KB, 54 views)

Last edited by fabreezai; 06 May 2012 at 12:14 pm.