PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
How Long Do Spark Plugs Last?

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 May 2012, 03:26 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default How Long Do Spark Plugs Last?

Replaced my spark plugs 51,000 miles ago on my 2001 Limited PT.
I used Champion 7440 Double Platinum plugs.
Anybody ever use them and how long do they last? Have tried searching around for a clear answer but found none.
thanks
Old 09 May 2012, 03:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: How Long Do Spark Plugs Last?

kind of depends on the car if you pull them and they are clean and a off white and they can be regaped ok if you pull them and they are oily and or the electrode is burnt its time to replace
I think they say most are good for 100.000 i just change mine at about 50,000 and keep going
the wires are actually way more important than the plugs and the4 factory wires are CRAP from day 1
Old 09 May 2012, 03:51 pm
Regular Cruiser

I agree that "the wires are more important than the plugs". That's why I replaced the factory set for a "Federal Mogul" "Life of the engine warranty" from NAPA, 51K miles ago.
Thanks for the reply.
Old 09 May 2012, 04:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I agree with cruiserdad, but I do some other things with mine. First off, for some reason there are a lot of people, especially at PTCrew.com, who are saying the Plats are not good for the turbo PT's. Well, they may be correct as when I look up my year/model on Summit Racing, they don't list the plats as an alternate, yet Champion does. Of course, Champion wants to sell them so they would list them.

Now, some interesting info:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summit Racing
These Champion Double Platinum Power spark plugs have platinum on both the center and ground electrodes for longer lifer with minimal wear. The center electrode is platinum fine wire that is riveted onto the nickel alloy center electrode, and the ground electrode has a pad welded to the surface. The Champion Double Platinum Power spark plugs use a fine-wire and V-trimmed center electrode to create a sharper spark focus than conventional plugs. With their exclusive Heat-Active alloy, they are designed to reach operating temperatures quickly and maintain stable temperatures under varying engine loads. Widely designed for distributorless ignition systems, these Champion Double Platinum Power spark plugs can maximize fuel efficiency and spark energy.
Odd they say all this yet the plats are not listed for the '06 PT. I didn't check other years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champion Spark Plugs
The double platinum plugs are designed with triple seals, and tapered center and side electrodes for more efficient ignition. They feature superior erosion resistance and heat dissipation, and host a "projected core nose", which initiates the flame closer to the center of the combustion chamber and pistons. This has the affect of advancing the timing, which allows you to reduce the maximum indicated timing, while reducing detonation and improving throttle response.
I've read a lot of comments from Chrysler (CJD) dealerships where their service departments will NOT install plats in the PT, that the extended length of the center conductor places the spark too close to the piston heads. Even the dealership where I bought mine says they won't use plats on the PT.

Information on the projected spark gap from Champion -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champion Spark Plugs
Projected Nose "Y" Gap
This gap style projects the spark an additional .060" into the combustion chamber for a total projection of .210", and providing there is sufficient clearance to valves and pistons, provides the ultimate in performance. Initiating the flame front closer to the center of the combustion chamber has a similar effect to advancing the timing. Therefore, maximum timing may be reduced which helps reduce the chance of detonation and provides superior part throttle response. A second valuable feature of this style is a "broader" heat range. The core nose is longer, providing a "hotter" plug at low speed which helps prevent fouling. As engine speed increases, the incoming air/fuel mixture flows across the tip of the core nose, providing charge cooling which effectively reduces heat range at higher engine speeds for increased pre-ignition and detonation protection.
Old 09 May 2012, 06:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Ok for the N/A.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 09 May 2012, 07:34 pm
Regular Cruiser

Well as I previous stated I have used the Champion 7440 Double Platinum plugs, in my non-turbo engine, without any problems at all. The performance is as normal as ever.
Actually these plugs were installed in October of 2004, 51,000 miles ago! That's 7yrs and 7 months.
Present odometer reading 92,580 miles.
This Cruiser has been a very reliable ride, regular maintenance, brake pads and front rotors, timing belt (water pump, tensioner,etc.) rear shocks, radiator, thermostat and hoses.
Old 09 May 2012, 07:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcalzadilla View Post
Well as I previous stated I have used the Champion 7440 Double Platinum plugs, in my non-turbo engine, without any problems at all. The performance is as normal as ever.
Actually these plugs were installed in October of 2004, 51,000 miles ago! That's 7yrs and 7 months.
Present odometer reading 92,580 miles.
This Cruiser has been a very reliable ride, regular maintenance, brake pads and front rotors, timing belt (water pump, tensioner,etc.) rear shocks, radiator, thermostat and hoses.
Ready for another 100k!

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 31 May 2012, 11:07 am
Young Cruiser

Hi everyone,

I am facing a little problem with my wife's PT, so I decided to try for some help in this forum.

My wife's car is a 1.6 PT (maybe the only one in the Forum, since we live in Greece and you all know that here the ownership of a big car equals to BIG taxes).
We have installed LPG in both our cars due to economy reasons.

During a journey the other day, we remained with 3 cylinders working, due to spark plug failure.
The plugs that were installed, are Champion RC9MCC4.
I am not aware if they are the correct type, since the car was bought used and we didn't find any owner's manual in the glove box.

So, I am asking for your opinion on this
1. Is the above type recommended?
2. Do you suggest the use of the same type, or you would prefer a more suitable for the LPG?
If so, what should it be?

Thanks.
Old 31 May 2012, 03:51 pm
Veteran Cruiser

mine were RE14MC.. i believe these to be the original plugs that came with the car. i put new ones in and noticed no difference in any way. i believe these have 230k miles on them. the second one wasn't even screwed in very far.
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...10085466_n.jpg
Old 31 May 2012, 04:54 pm
Senior Cruiser

I just run the speced Champion Copper. You will never throw a code with these plugs, 470 for the Turbos an 443 for NA.

Change them every 20K miles. I mean I can afford 8$ every other year

Now here is a teachable story.

Friend had a niner (5.9 Magnum) in his Ram van.
Had a severe case of the stupids.
Left his factory plugs in for like 70K miles. Thing was running so bad he brought it to the dealer. Tech took a look, said it needed plugs. wires, rotor and cap. Also got to one plug that was frozen into the head. Would not warranty getting it out, let him make the call. In the end they had to pull the head to get the plug out. About a thousand bucks later he was back on the road.

I always yank the plugs early and replace them often. Also put anti seize on the threads and some silicone grease on the boots.
UptownSport likes this.

89 Shadow ES 2.5 T2 +20's A555 sold
86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
90 Daytona ES 2.5 T1 A523
90 Datyona Shelby VNT needs work
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2