Advertisements
O2 Sensor problems

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 May 2012, 07:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default O2 Sensor problems

Hello all :-)

I recently rebuilt the engine and turbo in a 2004 cruiser for a friend and now I cannot get the check engine light to go off...Both of the oxygen sensors were replaced because one had been chewed by mice and the other had been repaired previously and a code for oxygen sensor 1/2 heater circuit high kept popping up.

I had found some chewed wires (mice problem) for the downstream oxygen sensor (1/2) so I went ahead and repaired the wires and cannot visibly see any other chewed wires on the car.

Now I am getting the codes P0031-oxygen sensor 1/1 heater circuit low and P0037-oxygen sensor 1/2 heater circuit low...I have checked the resistance in both of the oxygen sensor heaters and the upstream reads 4.2 ohms and the downstream reads 3.6 ohms. I have checked the ground circuit for the sensors and it checks out fine.

I have read numerous articles stating that some Chryslers do not like after market oxygen sensors but the 2 we got (both from different stores) say they are factory recommended (or at least that's what the parts people told my friend) and they seem to check out ok. I use to work for a couple of dodge dealers so I am quite familiar with these cars but (1) I had never used after market parts on these cars before and (2) I do not have access to a chrysler scan tool to run all of the diagnostic tests that Chrysler says to run.

Is there anything else I can check or do without having to take it to the dealer and have them check it out??

Thanks in advance!
Old 09 May 2012, 07:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: O2 Sensor problems

First, rule of thumb says not to use aftermarket for electrical parts and it's been proven over and over again that they either fail right off or don't last. That being said, I used Bosch 02 sensors for both when I replaced them for pre-ventative maintenance and they have been in they for about 21,000 miles without a problem.

Second, you say you can't get rid of the fault code. Did you remove the negative battery cable for 5 minutes, step on the brake peddle and them put it all back together? That should reset the computer and get rid of any stored codes.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 09 May 2012, 09:31 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
First, rule of thumb says not to use aftermarket for electrical parts and it's been proven over and over again that they either fail right off or don't last. That being said, I used Bosch 02 sensors for both when I replaced them for pre-ventative maintenance and they have been in they for about 21,000 miles without a problem.

Second, you say you can't get rid of the fault code. Did you remove the negative battery cable for 5 minutes, step on the brake peddle and them put it all back together? That should reset the computer and get rid of any stored codes.
2x what Crewzin said. Post results.
Old 10 May 2012, 02:24 am
Cool Cruiser

I'm more than familiar with those codes! I bought an aftermarket downstream sensor and it was useless. I tried to save money on the cost of the OEM sensor but it backfired on me. My solution was to find a scrapyard that had a pt o2 sensor at a cheap price and replace with that. I cleared the code and it's been off ever since, fingers crossed.

Learned my lesson and will buy OEM from now on.
Old 10 May 2012, 11:24 am
Fresh Cruiser

Yes I have cleared the codes...numerous times. Both with disconnecting the battery cable and with the snap on scanner that I have. I wasn't sure what company made the sensors for mopar but if you say Bosch then I will shoot this over to my friend and hopefully we can get some new sensors for it and see what happens...

I HATE using after market parts for engines or big time electrical components but it is not my car so I had to go with what I was given..

Thanks for the info! I will post back when I get it taken care of!
Old 10 Dec 2012, 03:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

is bosch aftermarket ?
Old 10 Dec 2012, 04:56 pm
Regular Cruiser

The code is for the preheater, not the sensor itself. Could be the driver for the heater in the PCM is bad, or could be wiring/fuse for the heater is bad, or could be something else. Since you are getting the code for both sensors, and they are both from different sources, that would tend to point the finger at PCM, wiring, or fuse... something the two sensors have in common. I doubt it's the sensor(s) themselves. As long as they are a decent brand (Bosch, NGK, etc.) they are most likely just fine.

Have you tried checking voltage on the harness with the engine running? You should see 12v when the engine is cold.
Old 12 Dec 2012, 03:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

hello, new to the forum, was doing a google search on p0031 and p0037 and found this thread, just changed both sensors, no good, codes come rite back

Last edited by 98SN95; 12 Dec 2012 at 03:11 pm.
Old 12 Dec 2012, 03:48 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98SN95 View Post
hello, new to the forum, was doing a google search on p0031 and p0037 and found this thread, just changed both sensors, no good, codes come rite back
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
The code is for the preheater, not the sensor itself. Could be the driver for the heater in the PCM is bad, or could be wiring/fuse for the heater is bad, or could be something else. Since you are getting the code for both sensors, and they are both from different sources, that would tend to point the finger at PCM, wiring, or fuse... something the two sensors have in common. I doubt it's the sensor(s) themselves. As long as they are a decent brand (Bosch, NGK, etc.) they are most likely just fine.

Have you tried checking voltage on the harness with the engine running? You should see 12v when the engine is cold.
-----
Old 27 Nov 2013, 03:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Re: O2 Sensor problems

Hi, I know this thread is a year old, but I am having the same issue, and I replaced both my O2 sensors with MOPAR sensors and even had my PCM re-flashed(Stg. 1). Where is the fuse for the heaters?

Thanks...
1946 Willys CJ2A
1930 Ford Model A Coupe
...and a bunch of DD's