Advertisements
Wow! This puts it in perspective!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By fabreezai
  • 1 Post By Busted_PT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 May 2012, 09:13 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Wow! This puts it in perspective!

I found this on the net, thought you guys would enjoy it. Had to edit it slightly though at the end to relate to the PT. And I think I'm cool with a supercharger???

Definition of Acceleration:

"One top fuel dragster 500 cubic inch Hemi engine makes more horsepower than the first 4 rows of stock cars at the Daytona 500. Under full throttle, a dragster engine consumes 1-1/2 gallons of nitro methane per second; a fully loaded 747 consumes jet fuel at the same rate with 25% less energy being produced. A stock Dodge Hemi V8 engine cannot produce enough power to drive the dragster's supercharger. With 3,000 CFM of air being rammed in by the supercharger on overdrive, the fuel mixture is compressed into a near-solid form before ignition. Cylinders run on the verge of hydraulic lock at full throttle. At the stoichiometric (stoichiometry: methodology and technology by which quantities of reactants and products in chemical reactions are determined) 1.7:1 air/fuel mixture of nitro methane, the flame front temperature measures 7,050 deg F. Nitro methane burns yellow. The spectacular white flame seen above the stacks at night is raw burning hydrogen, dissociated from atmospheric water vapor by the searing exhaust gases. Dual magnetos supply 44 amps to each spark plug. This is the output of an arc welder in each cylinder. Spark plug electrodes are totally consumed during a pass. After halfway, the engine is dieseling from compression, plus the glow of exhaust valves at 1,400 deg F. The engine can only be shut down by cutting the fuel flow. If spark momentarily fails early in the run, unburned nitro builds up in the affected cylinders and then explodes with sufficient force to blow cylinder heads off the block in pieces or split the block in half. In order to exceed 300 mph in 4.5 seconds, dragsters must accelerate an average of over 4G's. In order to reach 200 mph (well before half-track), the launch acceleration approaches 8G's. Dragsters reach over 300 mph before you have completed reading this sentence. Top fuel engines turn approximately 54k revolutions from light to light! Including the burnout, the engine must only survive 90k revolutions under load. The redline is actually quite high at 9,500 rpm. Assuming all the equipment is paid off, the crew worked for free, and for once NOTHING BLOWS UP, each run costs an estimate $1,000.00 per second. The current top fuel dragster elapsed time record is 4.441 seconds for the quarter mile. The top speed record is 333.00 mph as measured over the last 66 feet of the run. Putting all of this into perspective: You are driving the average $140,000 Lingenfelter "twin-turbo" powered Corvette Z06. Over a mile up the road, a top fuel dragster is staged and ready to launch down a quarter mile strip as you pass. You have the advantage of a flying start. You run the Vette hard up through the gears and blast across the starting line and pass the dragster at an honest 200 mph. The "tree" goes green for both of you at that moment. The dragster launches and starts after you. You keep your foot down hard, but you hear an incredibly brutal whine that sears your eardrums and within 3 seconds, the dragster catches and passes you. He beats you to the finish line, a quarter mile away from where you just passed him. Think about it, from a standing start, the dragster had spotted you 200 mph and not only caught, but nearly blasted you off the road when he passed you within a mere 1,320 foot long race course. ....And that my friends, is Acceleration! Did I hear someone wanted to build a 2.4 with an all out cam, etc?"

Last edited by fabreezai; 09 May 2012 at 10:28 pm.
Old 10 May 2012, 01:21 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Wow! This puts it in perspective!

They told us last weekend they dropped it to 1000', as people died from extreme speed crashes.
They've now exceed the old 1320 speeds ...

It's all very, very awesome ...
Old 10 May 2012, 10:00 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownSport View Post
They told us last weekend they dropped it to 1000', as people died from extreme speed crashes.
They've now exceed the old 1320 speeds ...

It's all very, very awesome ...
They shortened the track by 320' now??!! Really? WOW! Just a matter of time before they figure out how to go faster and they'll have to shorten it even more............

Unreal!
Old 11 May 2012, 12:11 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabreezai View Post
They shortened the track by 320' now??!! Really? WOW! Just a matter of time before they figure out how to go faster and they'll have to shorten it even more............

Unreal!
The NHRA did that a few years ago, only for the Top Fuel cars, after Scott Kalitta died at Englishtown. No one can agree on how else to slow them down. They have been experimenting with smaller fuel pumps and some other stuff

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 11 May 2012, 12:56 pm
Cool Cruiser

... aint the reason to race is to go fast?? how about the strip stay the same but have a longer section after for slowing down...
Old 11 May 2012, 01:14 pm
Veteran Cruiser

It's problem with a vehicle going 300+MPH-
And that engine, clutch could flyapart, plus loaded with meth, and if axle breaks or loses traction on one wheel, then there's a guy right next to you in another tin can
Old 13 May 2012, 08:48 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcktpwrd View Post
The NHRA did that a few years ago, only for the Top Fuel cars, after Scott Kalitta died at Englishtown. No one can agree on how else to slow them down. They have been experimenting with smaller fuel pumps and some other stuff
WOW!

Been out of the loop for a while, did not know this! What about restricted intake like NASCAR? Rev limiters/throttle stops in high gear? Not putting psyco drivers behind Nitro methane fueled cars? (although it's cool) that has the potential to be a bomb!

Personally I would love to take the chance to do so, to go that fast...... When I was solo, now that I have grand kids, I would think twice!

God bless the boy's that do so!
rcktpwrd likes this.
Old 13 May 2012, 09:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabreezai View Post
WOW!

Been out of the loop for a while, did not know this! What about restricted intake like NASCAR? Rev limiters/throttle stops in high gear? Not putting psyco drivers behind Nitro methane fueled cars? (although it's cool) that has the potential to be a bomb!

Personally I would love to take the chance to do so, to go that fast...... When I was solo, now that I have grand kids, I would think twice!

God bless the boy's that do so!
And girls! Really!
rcktpwrd likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com