Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Air Box Mod Malfunction

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 May 2012, 09:18 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Air Box Mod Malfunction

So I got my K&N drop in and decide to shorten the snorkel in the airbox flush to the wall of the box. Cut the snorkel and clipped in back in to the side of the airbox easy peasey. I then put everything back together started my car and my check engine light came on. Wasnt on 30min prior when i got home from work just happened as soon as i got done with the mod. It may have nothing to do with it but just seeing if anyone else has had this problem. I also removed the oil filter hose from both the airbox and the manifold and noticed it was tore down the middle on the manifold end if that means anything. Went to pep boys but the difference in the size of the ends Im going to have to pick one up from the dealer I guess. I dunno maybe its jsut sucking more air than ever and it just cant keep up. Nice power gain, car seems to run fine...........for now
Old 09 May 2012, 09:24 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Air Box Mod Malfunction

"Key dance" and see what code comes up for starters.
Old 09 May 2012, 11:06 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooseJox View Post
So I got my K&N drop in and decide to shorten the snorkel in the airbox flush to the wall of the box. Cut the snorkel and clipped in back in to the side of the airbox easy peasey. I then put everything back together started my car and my check engine light came on. Wasnt on 30min prior when i got home from work just happened as soon as i got done with the mod. It may have nothing to do with it but just seeing if anyone else has had this problem. I also removed the oil filter hose from both the airbox and the manifold and noticed it was tore down the middle on the manifold end if that means anything. Went to pep boys but the difference in the size of the ends Im going to have to pick one up from the dealer I guess.
No guessing about it, you will need to get that hose from the dealer AND get the hose for the other side (make-up air hose) while your there. It will be the same age and condition that the PCV hose is in and probably ready to also fail. They both are subjected to hot oil-born air all the time the engine is running. They will eventually fail on our PTs as well as EVERY other car that has been produced in the last 60 years.

Also, this is important, pick up a PCV valve and the small "make-up air" filter that is contained in the airfilter box, to correctly update the complete PCV sytem! If the hose itself had detererated far enough to split, the PCV will be coated inside even if the ball does pass the rattle test. With the coating inside it could stick at the most inopportune times.

Jerry
Old 10 May 2012, 06:32 am
Young Cruiser

KEY DANCE? Whats that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabreezai View Post
"Key dance" and see what code comes up for starters.
Old 10 May 2012, 07:23 am
Cool Cruiser

cycle the key >> "ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON" where your odometer is dipslayed will show up with codes. wen finished the screen will say "done"
Old 10 May 2012, 07:48 am
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Dill

Worth noting, you will see the word done when you do it correctly. If you do it and see no "done" you need to try again.

If You Have Not Already, Add Yourself To The PT Cruiser Members Map!

To Learn More About My PT Cruiser And Its Mods Visit My PT's Blog At www.PickledPt.blogspot.com