Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
serious idle issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 May 2012, 07:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Angry serious idle issues

Need some help here. Got an 03 cruiser with natural asperated non turbo 2.4 thats givin me a fit. It has a serious idle surge problem. on start up it revs to about 2 grand then drops to target idle of 575 or so. After it drops to target idle it surges between 575 and 1800 constantly. if u lightly touch the throttle it jumps up rapidly to almost 2500 rpms and slowly draws down to idle and starts surging all over again.. if u turn on the a/c it smooths out the idle a little bit. with a/c on and vehicle in gear it idles perfect for a few min then starts the surge again.. Previous shop it was at had timing belt installed 2 teeth off. So i got the joy of tearing it all apart and correcting all that nightmare. new component kit and water pump. Still same problem exists just not as bad. No dtc in the system at all. checked with both a scanner and ignition cycle system.
vaccum leaks not found anywhere. fuel pressure dead on target. pulled upper intake for plug access plugs all good there. used bore scope to check the valves and piston tops to looked for valve smacking pistons nothing wrong there ....
even ran a compression test all cylinders have perfect compression. cylinder leak down test ran no problems. so I know the valves arnt bent anywhere... inspected IAC valve was a little cloged up so it got a new one still doin the same thing. So I ask ya What in the world is causing my Idle surge on this darn contraption.
Old 10 May 2012, 08:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: serious idle issues

PT has a non-interference engine. Valves can't hit the piston tops. I'd go over all the vacuum lines again. Most with surging idle like you have have found a split or bad hose.
Old 10 May 2012, 09:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I've sprayed every hose i could find with both brake kleen and the riskier way with ether and no rpm changes at all. (I dont recommend the ether method to amatures or without having fire extinguisers near by). I dont believe that theres a vaccum leak. If there is it has to be inside the drivers compartment. Any one got any other ideas. Something that I have overlooked.
Old 15 May 2012, 06:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

finally found the idle issue root problem. Seems that the other shop that the vehicle was at originally over looked the IAC being bad so to raise the rpms they adjusted the low idle stop screw... after checking all the hoses i could find for vaccum leaks and not finding any. talked to the owner of the car and he said they adjusted something on the throttle body and showed me where. sure enough re adjusted it to target rpms and the thing runs like it should now.
Old 15 May 2012, 08:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsguru2 View Post
finally found the idle issue root problem. Seems that the other shop that the vehicle was at originally over looked the IAC being bad so to raise the rpms they adjusted the low idle stop screw... after checking all the hoses i could find for vaccum leaks and not finding any. talked to the owner of the car and he said they adjusted something on the throttle body and showed me where. sure enough re adjusted it to target rpms and the thing runs like it should now.
Great follow up.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 15 May 2012, 08:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

poop, I was gonna suggest that along with cleaning the carb....