Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Diagnosing sputtering start / shaking while idle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 May 2012, 01:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Diagnosing sputtering start / shaking while idle

Hi all. I'm having some weird trouble with my 01 non-turbo.

The car has 102k miles and runs great. Just bought it from the dealer 2 weeks ago. When I bought it, I didn't notice any problems at all, but gradually it's been taking 4-8 cranks to start (while sputtering sometimes). Also, the engine shakes pretty bad when it gets down to .7rmps.

Here's my diognostics:
-Battery (changed)
-Spark plugs / wires (changed)
-Fuel filter (runs fine once it starts, so I don't think it's this)
-Fuel pump (again, runs fine)
-Injectors
-????

Also, the power steering is making a LOT of noise, seemingly randomly. Sometimes I hear it when the car starts. Could this be related?

Thanks ...
Old 12 May 2012, 02:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Diagnosing sputtering start / shaking while idle

A couple questions. Do you know if the timing belt, water pump and belt tensioner has been changed? It's due "right now" and it's not cheap. Second, is there any codes stored in the computer and is/has the engine light come at all?

You might have a faulty Camshaft/Crankshaft sensor that's on its way out.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 12 May 2012, 02:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

hey, CREWZIN. Thanks for the reply.

No codes, no lights of any kind.

I don't know when if/when the belt was changed. The only thing I have from the carfax is that it was checked on 3/13/2004. Is the Camshaft/Crankshaft sensor related to the timing belt? Is it pricey to replace?

Thanks ...
Old 12 May 2012, 02:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

No, the sensors aren't related to the timing belt. Either one will cause problems when they start to go BUT either one should send a signal to the computer that's it's not working or going bad and light up the engine light on the dash.

With nothing to go on, and seeing the list of replaced parts, it's just a matter of guessing on our part. Did you ask the place where you bought it if they can put it on a scanner to help diagnose the problem? Since it's only been 2 weeks since you bought it, I would hope they would try and help.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 12 May 2012, 11:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Huh, I wonder if the dealership cleared the codes before selling. I took it it for them to look at, and after 3 hours they said they couldn't find a problem. I asked if I could try to show them and when I did, they said "oh, it didn't do that for us." They said Sea Foam should fix it (waste of $10).

Anyways, I gave up on them, but I should mention that it DOES seem to start worse when the AC is on ... so maybe it is a belt? I've already spetn $300+ trying to diagnose, but since it's only an 01 with 102k I think its worth it ...
Old 14 May 2012, 08:26 pm
Senior Cruiser

What do you mean when you say " ... it seems to start worse with the A/C on"? Do you mean the idle starts to sputter with the A/C on? Or do you mean you actually start your engine with the A/C already on?

Tim