Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Drop in MPG

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 May 2012, 02:55 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Drop in MPG

Here's my dilemma. First, my fog lights would stay on constantly (and I didn't know it was happening) so my battery was drained. Battery was original (2004) so got a new one, not knowing the fog lights was the issue just knew my car wouldn't start and I was 50 miles from home so got a jump. Figured out it was the fog lights when I got home & hubby said "why are your fog lights on?" Found out from other owners on the web that this is not unusual - multi-function switch design flaw (I could also keep my blinker down to turn them off but I was afraid I'd forget). Anyway, learned I could pull a fuse (#8) to remedy the problem since I never used those lights anyway. All was well - fog lights off and nothing else affected as far as I could tell.

BUT - since I replaced my battery and pulled that fuse my MPG has dropped from 18-19 to 13. WHAT?!?!?!!? I would think a new battery would have just the opposite affect. Plus, I just spent over $2k on a ton of things to get the old girl up to snuff (that was 6 months ago, and my MPG didn't go up or down after all the work was done - although I was told performance should increase - not that I could tell - oh, well). Anybody have any idea if pulling the fuse or a new battery could be causing this? It just doesn't sound plausible. All thoughts are welcome!

PS - I am in the US, this isn't an exported PT.
Old 14 May 2012, 05:49 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Drop in MPG

Pulling the #8 fuse or replacing the battery, as you said, shouldn't have anything to do with mileage EXCEPT that whoever changed the battery out could have done something that might have affected it. The multi-part air filter has to come off to get to the battery and things could have been moved or messed with that might cause the mileage to drop. There's a couple things attached to the intake hose including a vacuum hose and a sensor called the IAT. Possibly the tip of the IAT was broken off (easily done) if it was removed and put back in. If it was, that measures the incoming air and would mess up the air/fuel mixture. Only a thought, but worth checking.

MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.
Old 14 May 2012, 04:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Checked the IAT sensor and it's just fine. No hoses are lose. I'm bummed. I was hoping the IAT sensor was the problem....but, maybe it is - could be it's not working correctly. New one is under $40 so maybe I should just replace it?

Thanks for your reply, CREWZIN!
Old 14 May 2012, 04:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Sorry, I'd say if you still have the little blue tip on it, it's probably doing it's job. Gotta be something else but again, if it started with changing the battery, should be something to do with a part that was moved or broken or forgotten to be put back.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.
Old 14 May 2012, 04:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

question is are you using the dash MPG or are you actually doing the math?????
Old 14 May 2012, 09:29 pm
Senior Cruiser

Have you done the key dance? Just a thought ....

Tim

Tags
fog lights, fuse 8, mpg