PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Mopar dual exhaust question...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 May 2012, 10:00 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Mopar dual exhaust question...

I have an opertunity to buy a mopar dual exaust kit that is marked for being for a turbo PT Cruiser for a good price. Part# 1-P4510463
My question is will it work with my N/A Cruiser.
I think I would need another hanger for the right side of the car for the other pipe.
Would my gas milage be affected greatly if I used it?

Any one with a N/A PT use dual exaust on here? If so what is your experiance with it?

Thanks
Eibach Pro Springs, Energy Suspension HyperFlex Master Kit bushings, 17" RTX Euro wheels, K&N drop in air filter, MotoMaster flat plate AGM battery, KYB GR2 shocks and struts, Booger standard shifter bushings, Ooogah horn.
Old 14 May 2012, 10:19 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Mopar dual exhaust question...

Well, Chigger, it's sort of a toss-up question. Turbo vehicles like to have really free-flowing exhaust systems. A tuned exhaust is really the best for a turbo, and even muffler's aren't required. You can go with a 3" pipe to a resonator instead of a muffler and get an increase in hp.

Now, with a normally aspirated engine, you're needing a certain amount of back-pressure to keep your engine properly tuned. If you open your exhaust to a 3" pipe and remove the CC, and run just a resonator, you'll actually lose horse power. It's a known fact that a normally aspirated engine running on open pipes is putting exhaust valves at jeopardy. You run that engine hot, then shut it off, with zero back-pressure you've exposed your exhaust valves to possible warpage. Sure, the odds are pretty low that this will really happen, but if I were you, I'd go hop on a dyno and do a pull before changing out your exhaust, then go back to the same dyno and see what happens with the new exhaust.

Now, I don't know anything specific about the Borla nor the Mopar duals, but they share a crossover I'm sure, and if the pipes remain at 2" or 2.5", whatever it is on the back of an NA, then you're okay. The dual exhaust is realistically more for looks than performance. Actually, IMO, it's gonna hurt performance no matter which vehicle you put it on. Think about it - you have a pretty straight pipe from the exhaust manifold to the butt of the car. Add in a dual, you get these crossovers and all these extra pipes between the exhaust mani and the butt end.

Actually, speaking like that, the duals may actually help with performance on an NA if it's adding back-pressure from all those twists and turns. Hmmm... I'd love to get one of those exhaust systems and do a blow-by test to see what pressure loss is involved, if any. That will give you an indication of the kind of back-pressure you'll get. Wow... hmmm... the odd thing is that regardless of the exhaust system, they all connect to either the CC or bypass the CC and go straight to the exhaust mani, so realistically a single exhaust system with a 3" pipe is better for a turbo than any dual!!!

As for fuel mileage, I'm uncertain on that. My believe is that it might give you a couple mpg more! Oh, remember this too, you have to add a cutout in your bumper cover for that second pipe!

Last edited by Chromenut; 14 May 2012 at 10:22 am.
Old 14 May 2012, 02:02 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Why do you want to buy duals for turbo to go on a N/A cruiser when you can get a set designed for the N/A. I know you said you could get them at a great price, however if the cost is much over $300 you need to pm me. I just got a NEW set of Mopar by Borla for my N/A cruiser for about that price.

2008 Touring -9050 miles (Cash for Clunkers trade-in)
2008 Miata MX5 Vert. 30000 Mi
2000 Astro Con. Van. 58000 Mi (One owner)
2005 HD Sporster 1200, 8000 Mi
Old 14 May 2012, 02:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiszr View Post
Why do you want to buy duals for turbo to go on a N/A cruiser when you can get a set designed for the N/A. I know you said you could get them at a great price, however if the cost is much over $300 you need to pm me. I just got a NEW set of Mopar by Borla for my N/A cruiser for about that price.
How do you like it? Can you post a video where we can hear it???
Old 14 May 2012, 02:26 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Ha Chrome, if you're talking to me I just got my duals last week and haven't had them installed yet. Will be happy to put photo/video up after I get them put on.

Old 14 May 2012, 04:04 pm
Cool Cruiser

I can pick the Turbo ones local for $250 new in box....
Thats why I asked.
Eibach Pro Springs, Energy Suspension HyperFlex Master Kit bushings, 17" RTX Euro wheels, K&N drop in air filter, MotoMaster flat plate AGM battery, KYB GR2 shocks and struts, Booger standard shifter bushings, Ooogah horn.
Old 14 May 2012, 04:40 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chigger_ns View Post
I can pick the Turbo ones local for $250 new in box....
Thats why I asked.
I would get it, then re-sale it for $300 or more, to cover the cost of the N/A system.
Old 14 May 2012, 05:00 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

FYI, Autotrucktoys.com sell the N/A Mopar dual exhaust system for $695. Race and Street about the same. I seen the same system on ebay for $308 plus shipping. I haven't seen it that low anywhere else that cheap. Don't know if you would gain anything buying the turbo system and selling to by the N/A.

JUST SAYING......................

Old 14 May 2012, 06:03 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiszr View Post
FYI, Autotrucktoys.com sell the N/A Mopar dual exhaust system for $695. Race and Street about the same. I seen the same system on ebay for $308 plus shipping. I haven't seen it that low anywhere else that cheap. Don't know if you would gain anything buying the turbo system and selling to by the N/A.

JUST SAYING......................
I bet you he can buy that Turbo system for $250 and re sell it for $350 to make $100, then buy the ebay $300 system and only cost him $200 out of his pocket
Old 14 May 2012, 07:35 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

That's a lot of maybe's on the turbo set. Who's to say that the N/A SET will still be available after he finds a buyer for the turbo set. It doesn't matter to me either way cause there's nothing in it for me. But as the saying goes, " A BIRD IN HAND............."
XtrmDC2 likes this.