PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
overheating on the interstate

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 May 2012, 04:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation overheating on the interstate

Hi.

I have a 2004 PT Cruiser with 112k. It is the turbo edition.

I have recently encountered an overheating problem. It gets up to the 3/4 mark (well almost) while on the interstate traveling at about 70-80 MPH. When I get off of the interstate, it has typically went back down to the halfway point. Today It stayed just over the halfway point. I have not heard any "bubbling" or "gurgleing". I live in a warm climate so my AC is almost always on. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what this could be? I will go to an autopart store today and get a new thermostat...and I am waiting for the car to completely cool down to check the fluid levels. I have not noticed any leaking fluid (as far as puddles in my parking spaces/driveway). Thanks in advance.
Old 14 May 2012, 04:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: overheating on the interstate

You could have a blockage in the radiator not letting the full flow of coolant get around to the engine when it's needed most (highway driving). Has the coolant and radiator been flushed since you got it in 2004?

ALSO, with that kind of mileage, I hope you've already changed the timing belt, water pump and belt tensioner. If not your driving on borrowed time. The belt or water pump could go bad at any time now.
Old 14 May 2012, 04:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation Re: overheating on the interstate

I purchased this car used in Feburary of last year. I have not flushed the system, and can not say for sure it was flushed or not. Is that something I have to take it for the shop for? I will make an appointment today if I do.
Old 14 May 2012, 04:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

When I brought my car into a small shop back in Feburary, (to get tires and an alignment) they informed me that the belt was still in good condition. Sense I've been reading some of the other posts, I'm starting to think otherwise
Old 14 May 2012, 04:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

There's almost NO WAY you can tell when the timing belt is about to break except if you see it starting to shred. We're lucky to have a belt that goes 100,000 miles as a few years ago, 60K was the norm to change the belt before it broke.

Is it something you can do (flush the radiator)? Not likely in your driveway. Look around for garage ads that have a sale in flushing different things on the car. However, you have to make sure they use the correct fluid (HOAT) when they refill it.
Old 17 May 2012, 03:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation Re: overheating on the interstate

Thanks for the advice! The radiator has been flushed and refilled with the correct coolant...the thermostat was also changed. I'm still having the same issues...except now it's warming up when just driving around the neighborhood. If anyone has any other advice let me know...if not I guess its to the shop?

All hoses appear to be tight...no leaking...fluid levels are all good!
Old 17 May 2012, 06:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by corib4687 View Post
Thanks for the advice! The radiator has been flushed and refilled with the correct coolant...the thermostat was also changed. I'm still having the same issues...except now it's warming up when just driving around the neighborhood. If anyone has any other advice let me know...if not I guess its to the shop?

All hoses appear to be tight...no leaking...fluid levels are all good!
The fan may not be working.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Tags
cooling, overheating, turbo