PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Cabin Air Filter 01

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rcktpwrd

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 May 2012, 08:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Location: Currently living in NY, but pure Arizonian at heart.
Default Cabin Air Filter 01

In the tech document section I found the Cabin Air filter Replacement procedure. Because I have a smell in my car I thought it was a good place to start. My car is an 01' Limited from the first half of the production run. When I got to where my filter should be, there is not one, nor does it look like there ever was. No sign that the washer tank has ever touched before me.

I did find a second mouse nest to the right of the fresh air inlet and the remains of where a mouse had completely decomposed. So ultimately I did find the source of the foul odor and clean it. But, whats the story with the cabin air filter? Did the first production not have them, or not in this location. I am a bit confused about this.
Old 14 May 2012, 09:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Cabin Air Filter 01

No, No production PT ever came with one (that I know of). Don't know why. Maybe a way of cost cutting. They sold the filter at the dealer but it wasn't a replacement, it was a first time filter to add to the space you found.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 15 May 2012, 01:20 am
Regular Cruiser

It is not out of the ordinary for a car to be sold without a cabin air filter. That is why you sometimes see it added on to the list of packages and accessories on the stick at the new car dealership.

You can probably fix this problem with a trip to your local PARTS STORE (not dealership) who will carry a cheap filter for you to drop in there. If you goto the dealership, you will have a pretty similar filter for 2-4 times the price.

Also even though you got the source of the smell, if it hasn't fully disappeared yet you could try to get the stuff you can spray into your vents to kill microbes which cause the odor. The name slips my mind right now but the parts store attendant should know what I am talking about.

Last edited by ankit; 15 May 2012 at 01:22 am.
Old 15 May 2012, 02:13 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Only concern I have about him going to a parts store is that I don't see the filter cage. Did you pull it out, or is the cage also missing? If it's missing, I'd suggest speaking with a dealership about it. Funny that the filter with the cage at my dealership is cheaper than the filter alone...go figure...

Mind you, there are a couple of dealerships who are now discounting sales on ebay, so if you are interested, drop me a PM and I'll send you their ebay store info. I'm also working with my dealership, Lake Norman CJD, to see if they will give a group discount to forum members. Will let you know how that turns out.
Old 15 May 2012, 06:11 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankit View Post
The name slips my mind right now but the parts store attendant should know what I am talking about.
I think your thinking about Febreze.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 15 May 2012, 09:21 am
Fresh Cruiser

Location: Currently living in NY, but pure Arizonian at heart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
Only concern I have about him going to a parts store is that I don't see the filter cage. Did you pull it out, or is the cage also missing? If it's missing, I'd suggest speaking with a dealership about it. Funny that the filter with the cage at my dealership is cheaper than the filter alone...go figure...
That's a big part of my confusion. No cage, no brackets or mounting holes where a cage would go.
I'm also working on a relatives early 01 (these 2 where ordered and bought at the same time) which I may also need to install one in. The filter and cage combo may be the best way to go, especially if it's cheaper.
Non of the local parts stores carry the filter. NAPA wants $38 to order the filter. That's significantly higher than the $17-$20 suggested in the tech doc.
Old 15 May 2012, 01:51 pm
Senior Cruiser

None of the '01's had the cage for the filter, just that little plastic splash shield thing. Mine looked just like that as well. I got mine off eBay for a decent price.
Sometime in '02 Chrysler started adding the cage for the filter but no filter, I believe that only export PT's actually had a cabin filter.

I got a filter at PepBoys, they carry the Purolator ones, cost about 15-18 bucks...
dougs likes this.

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS; 1995 Caprice Classic woody
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 16 May 2012, 04:25 pm
Regular Cruiser

Hello, concerning the cabin filter, someone awhile back posted that he found a wix filter at home depot used for lawn equipment and got it to fit. You can take your measurements and give it a try. I myself am going to look into that idea. All the best too you.