PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Engine mount/ torque struts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 May 2012, 04:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Engine mount/ torque struts

Hi all,

I am about to change the upper and lower torque struts on the engine of my 2001 Pt. I researched the entire forum and have searched the Heynes repair manual, but I cannot find anywhere the torque values for the bolts of the torque struts. I either overlook it here, and the Heynes manual doesn't specify them....

If someone can help me out I am forever thankful !!!
Old 15 May 2012, 05:09 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Engine mount/ torque struts

According to the Chilton manual, the torque strut bolts should be torqued to 87 Ft-lbs (115 Nm). It doesn't distinguish between upper and lower torque strut, so I assume these values are for both.
Old 15 May 2012, 05:16 pm
Regular Cruiser

The 2002 Factory Service Manual confirms that it's 87 Ft-lbs for both the lower and upper torque strut bolts.
Old 15 May 2012, 05:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I think the OEM service manual says differently.

Here is the section taken from the OEM service manual regarding the torque struts from 01-04: 01-04 Torque Struts. Make sure you note that the Pencil Strut is NOT torqued to the same as the upper and lower! If you torque it that tight it will fail on you!
Old 15 May 2012, 10:39 pm
Regular Cruiser

Chrome, you are correct. When I looked it up in the Service Manual, I accidentally quoted from the 1.6L SOHC engine. 85 Ft.-lbs. would be correct for the 2.4L DOHC engine.

Interestingly enough, the Chilton manual still says 87 Ft-lbs, even for the 2.4L. However, it says 87 Ft-lbs and 115 Nm, which are not even equivalent.

I'm pretty sure that the torque struts will be just fine, whether you torque them to 85 or 87 Ft-lbs.

SIDE QUESTION: What is the purpose of the pencil strut, anyway?
Old 15 May 2012, 11:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you Chromenut and Harry2011 !!! 85 or 87... Will be the same I guess I really appreciate it !

For some reason the Heynes manual refers for the torque specs to the start of the chapter, but then fails to mention them.... Usefull manual, but this is a little

Anyway, thanks again and I will return here with the results of the replacement attempts
Old 16 May 2012, 05:06 pm
Senior Cruiser

I can't remember the exact torque for the two bolts that hold the upper strut to the engine (not the shock tower bolt that is 85 ft. lbs). I don't think these two bolts are torqued nearly as high. I may be wrong, but perhaps someone else knows the answer to this one.

Tim
Old 02 Oct 2017, 11:03 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to SunsetBlvd
Exclamation Re: Engine mount/ torque struts Warning!

DONíT use 85 ft lbs for the front bolts on that upper motor mount (torque strut) where the bracket bolts to the engine. Thanks to all the previous replies to this post, I used that figure on all three bolts.

85 ft lbs is only correct for the bigger bolt on the shock tower. Trying to be diligent, when I tried to use that setting on the smaller bolts, one of them snapped. Now Iím in the process of drilling that bolt and hoping that an easy-out will work. Thanks to the proximity of the timing belt cover, I had to buy longer drill bits, and good luck finding room to use an easy out or a tap!

After the disaster, I asked both a local mechanic and the service manager at my local Chrysler dealer about torque specs. The front bolts do not need to be torqued- just crank them good and tight by hand.

God, I hope this saves somebody else this grief.
Old 02 Oct 2017, 11:08 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to SunsetBlvd
Exclamation Re: Engine mount/ torque struts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry2011 View Post
According to the Chilton manual, the torque strut bolts should be torqued to 87 Ft-lbs (115 Nm). It doesn't distinguish between upper and lower torque strut, so I assume these values are for both.
WARNING- DO NOT use 85 lbs for the smaller bolts at the front. You will snap them.
Old 02 Oct 2017, 11:22 am
Cool Cruiser

If you got a calibrated elbo go with the German torque specs..."Goodntight"