FAN NOT STARTING ON TIME?

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Harry2011

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 May 2012, 07:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default FAN NOT STARTING ON TIME?

Hello,

I have a 2004 non turbo and it had some misfiring issues, ended up rebuilding the engine, all was fine until the weather started warming up and needed to use the ac.

While having the AC on and running on the freeway it runs great, when I hit a stop light, the engine starts rough idling until it gets time to go again.

The check engine light went on and it marks a P0301, but its impossible that a rebuilt engine with only 7k miles would misfire on cylinder 1 right?

I took it to the shop and something interesting was pointed out, the radiator fan doesn't kick in until the engine rattles two or three times, as soon as the fan goes on, the engine stops rattling, the shop told me I need to take it to an electrical shop so that they can determine why it is not starting on time to prevent the engine from stalling or rough idling. Any ideas? I have replaced the fan relays in the past, not too long ago, I replaced the high and the low.

Thank you for any advice!
Old 15 May 2012, 07:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: FAN NOT STARTING ON TIME?

You replaced the relays (that rarely go bad) but your real problem is that one of the speeds of the fan motor is most likely burnt out. Happens to most of us.
Old 15 May 2012, 09:09 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
You replaced the relays (that rarely go bad) but your real problem is that one of the speeds of the fan motor is most likely burnt out. Happens to most of us.
Yep,looks like its time for a new fan.
Old 15 May 2012, 11:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you very much.

My mechanic seems to think that the fan is working as it does turn on eventually, but this is the first I hear about one of the speeds of the fan burning out. I will have install a new fan

I will report the result...
Old 16 May 2012, 09:54 pm
Regular Cruiser

What happens on these fans is that the carbon brushes in the motor wear out, and lose contact to the motor's commutator. Check out the picture and you'll see that on my PT's fan, one of the brushes was almost completely worn out. This is why one speed of my fan didn't work, while the other one did, since the other brushes still had sufficient carbon left.

Instead of replacing my fan, I bought 4 new carbon brushes from my local hardware store and spliced them onto the leads that were already on the motor. The exact brushes for these fans are quite rare, so the ones I bought were slightly longer and connected from behind, instead of on top, but I made it work.

The brushes were 4.99 each, so it cost me $20 and was a fairly easy task.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (40.8 KB, 16 views)
ROCKETMAN8060 likes this.
Old 16 May 2012, 11:20 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry2011 View Post
What happens on these fans is that the carbon brushes in the motor wear out, and lose contact to the motor's commutator. Check out the picture and you'll see that on my PT's fan, one of the brushes was almost completely worn out. This is why one speed of my fan didn't work, while the other one did, since the other brushes still had sufficient carbon left.

Instead of replacing my fan, I bought 4 new carbon brushes from my local hardware store and spliced them onto the leads that were already on the motor. The exact brushes for these fans are quite rare, so the ones I bought were slightly longer and connected from behind, instead of on top, but I made it work.

The brushes were 4.99 each, so it cost me $20 and was a fairly easy task.

Great info thanks bro!!!
Old 22 May 2012, 05:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ok, so I have replaced the fan, seems like it has taken care of the problem, the fan now starts each time that I switch the AC on, it didn't do so before, it would wait till the engine was hot and then rough idle a lil bit and then the fan would start.

Thank you all for your advice, I will be driving my PT to the beach and getting it a nice HB (Huntington Beach) sticker now
Old 22 May 2012, 06:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Another happy ending. "I Love It When A Plan Comes Together!"