Advertisements
pt doesn't cruise over curbs

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Chromenut

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 May 2012, 07:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default pt doesn't cruise over curbs

So I smacked my 04 touring into a curb in December while it was snowing. Broke my wheel and the service engine light came on. Found that it was throwing p0038 and p0032 for the error codes. Changed out both 02 sensors still was getting p0038 checked wiring and found the harness is broken right next to the transmission with only half an inch of wire left to work with. Which is not enough. Like an idiot I tried to follow wires back to source and rewire. I failed and began getting p0508 I think I knicked a different wire. Any easy way to fix this?
Old 15 May 2012, 07:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: pt doesn't cruise over curbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb213 View Post
I failed and began getting p0508 I think I knicked a different wire. Any easy way to fix this?
Take a driving course, drop your tools and step away from the car. Hire a professional.

Only thing I could think of.
Old 15 May 2012, 08:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I bought a bag of those weather proof wire butt-splices that I use a lot on my PT. Many times I'm extending a wire to route it in a more logical manner. They work great. Also, just the regular butt-splices work as well if you have some heatshrink to put on the wire first, then pull it back over the connection making sure you leave about an inch past each end to insure you don't get water in it.

I like these clear butt splices with built on heat shrink:

Now my preference is the butt splice above, then in the middle I add in a bullet splice, male and female connectors, so that if I ever need to troubleshoot again, I just cut off the heat shrink and voila! These make moving stuff around and troubleshooting so much easier.

Almost everything I add to my car now has those bullets, makes it easier to get to stuff. This weekend I'm adding in a new fuse panel inside my car, behind the dash on the passenger side. It's actually a marine fuse panel, but what I like is it's all covered so no wires to touch. Going to run all my lights, backup camera, etc., to this instead of running it off the factory panel, so all I have to do is run one 4AWG cable to the positive battery terminal (with 60amp inline fuse), and a ground right to one of the bolts on the firewall. All my other items will come directly to this block. Considering adding in a relay so that it's only powered when the ignition is on, but if I do so that'll be later. For now I'll install switches to control everything instead.

The 6 fuse block on the left is what I bought, not exactly cheap at $44 but I don't put cheap in my PT. Add to it, it's really tough, being marine grade, and easy to connect up, along with 20 free labels. If you're going to add a fuse block, might as well make it a very good one.

With the '06 and up PT's being on the CAN buss system, it's just easier to add on your own fuse panel. I think I'll eventually make room for a smaller battery to connect to rather than the car battery, with a tap off the alternator for charging through a power distribution buss. We'll see...eventually....
ROCKETMAN8060 likes this.

Last edited by Chromenut; 15 May 2012 at 08:14 pm.
Old 15 May 2012, 10:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

So does anyone have a wire diagram so I can get an idea which color wires go to what sensor? I found and fixed the p0508 problem now I am just down to the last code and having to rerun the wires for p0038.
Old 15 May 2012, 10:25 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Chrome may be able to get you section 8W from the '01-'03 FSM-
I'd GUESS it's the same.
I have tons of connectors for Neon, some are the same, so shoot me a pic or wire colors if you get in a bind.

Engine harnesses aren't too difficult to remove, might be best to do so when repairing.