Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

How to; Remove Radiator

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 May 2012, 02:52 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default How to; Remove Radiator

Shown below was work done on a 2005 Non-Turbo PT Cruiser Automatic.

This thread was constructed with the intent to give someone an idea of what to expect if he/she is going to replace their radiator. It can serve as a ‘guide’ and is not perfect by any means.

Keep in mind that there were two different things going on here; those steps can be skipped. The steps *not required* involve the removal of the upper and lower intake manifold, thermostat housing, and fuel rail. I had to do this because I had a suspicion that one of the injectors was leaking.

1. Remove your; intake box, battery, and battery tray. When removing your intake hose , remember to carefully remove the inlet air temperature sensor on top and the make-up air hose.

1b. Remove MAP sensor located on your upper intake manifold. This is held by two torx screws.

1c. Remove the proportional purge hose and brake booster that are located on the rear of the upper intake manifold. These are on your left as you’re looking towards your vehicle.

1d. If you haven’t already pulled this tab out, go ahead and do so. It holds the cables from your cruise control and throttle body in place against your upper intake manifold.

1e. Remove EGR.

1f. Remove bolts from your throttle body. We want this apart from the upper intake manifold to remove the manifold, but we aren’t removing the throttle body itself. Make sure to clean all the gunk out.

1g. Go ahead and pull this tab out as well. It holds the cable from your MAP sensor and attaches to your upper intake manifold.

1h. Blurry pic, but remove your PCV hose. This is found on the right side of your upper intake manifold.

1j. Yes, I skipped ‘I’. Upper intake manifold removed. Be sure to use something to cover your lower intake manifold so nothing falls in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
Kawi is a friggin genius!
Old 17 May 2012, 02:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: How to; Remove Radiator

Will add this posting to the HOW TO thread. Thanks.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 17 May 2012, 02:53 pm
Senior Cruiser

2. Locate draincock. It is at the bottom right side of your radiator as if youíre looking toward your engine. Place clean catch pan (if you are to re-use your coolant, otherwise capture it anyway) underneath and turn the draincock *by hand* counter-clock wise. It should turn about a quarter of a turn. If no fluid comes out, make sure to pull it out toward you some.

2b. Your thermostat housing should be free of coolant since youíre draining your radiator. Remove it as shown to gain easy access of your fuel rail and lower intake manifold bolts.

2c. Disconnect radiator hose, expect some coolant to drip.

2d. Disconnect hose from your reservoir tank to your thermostat housing and set aside. Remove thermostat housing and radiator hose all as one.

2e. Remove gas cap to relieve pressure; picture not required.

2f. Remove both bolts that hold the fuel rail in place to the lower intake manifold.

2g. Hereís close-up of the harness that attaches to each fuel injector.

2h. Hereís the metal clip that holds the injector in place against the fuel rail. Keep in mind that if and when you remove a fuel injector, fuel can and will spill out from your fuel rail. Thereís also a small rubber ring that can fall out that sits between the top of the injector and the inside of the fuel rail. Last but not least, the clip slides over the indentation/slot on your fuel injector. Youíll see if, itís blatantly obvious.

3. Remove front grill.

4. Remove the hood release bracket from your upper radiator closure.

5. Remove the bolt that holds your upper radiator closure to your lower. You should also have a temperature sensor there. Be careful in manipulating it because the plastic tab that holds it in place is weak. This one was already broken so I fixed it before reinstalling.

6. Mark the bolt locations that are located on the left and right edge of your upper radiator closure, not all holes are used. Then remove bolts and remove closure. Should be 6 bolts.

7. At a glance after the above has been removed. Now itís a good time to lift your vehicle; hopefully youíve drained your radiator at this point.

8. Disconnect your radiator fan harness.

Shallee likes this.

Quote:
Old 17 May 2012, 02:54 pm
Senior Cruiser

*IF YOU FIND STEP 9 TO BE DIFFICULT, YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO MOVE YOUR RADIATOR/CONDENSER TOWARD YOU. THIS WILL PROVIDE THE ROOM NEEDED BETWEEN YOUR DIPSTICK TUBE AND LOWER INTAKE MANIFOLD. I CHOSE TO REMOVE IT; SELF-EXPLANATORY*

9. Remove your radiator fan. There are 6 screws total with 2 being on both top and bottom, and 2 being on the side. For the side screws, it was easy to remove them from up top. You can use a torx screw or a 10mm socket for this job.

10. Underneath you will find 3 hoses. The near-center large one carries coolant, and yes there is still some left in there. The two smaller ones on the flanking sides carry transmission fluid (automatic). When removing the smaller hoses, make sure that you have a clean container to catch any and all fluid. Also, be sure to plug the radiator end or capture the fluid there as well.

11. Remove the 5 or 6 bolts that attach your radiator to your condenser. You probably saw these bolts when you removed your radiator fan.

12. Your radiator is now completely disconnected. It is very easy to remove, just keep in mind that your condenser rests against your radiator. Pull the condenser toward you gently while pushing back on your radiator a bit and pull straight up.

13. Reverse for installation!

Things to consider;
1. Torque everything to spec. DO NOT CONFUSE INCH/LBS FOR FOOT/LBS!
2. If you removed your thermostat housing, remember to properly align your thermostat to properly install your housing again.
3. Remember to fill up on fluids, especially coolant. Transmission fluid as well (ATF+4 only).

Follow normal procedure for burping your system and you’re done! Hope the pictures and walk-through helped!

-Freddy
Shallee likes this.

Quote:
Old 17 May 2012, 02:56 pm
Senior Cruiser

Thanks Crewzin!

Had to make it more than 1 post, too many characters

Quote:
Old 17 May 2012, 03:00 pm
Banned

Geez, any random thoughts of doing this myself went away
Old 17 May 2012, 03:05 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa_Powered View Post
Geez, any random thoughts of doing this myself went away
LOL

Any step with a 'letter' is directly related to the removal of the manifold in order to access the fuel rail/injectors. I'm sure it can be of some use to others.

If you need yours done in the future when I'm in TX let me know!

Quote:
Old 26 Feb 2013, 12:04 am
Fresh Cruiser

pardon me for not checking first ( mine is torn down now ) seems like you can drop the radiator out the bottom , by removing the bolt-on lower support but leaving the intake alone.
Old 26 Feb 2013, 05:13 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Step 1e - remove EGR - ONLY APPLIES TO '01 and '02 PTs.

EGR went away with '03 on up.
'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 26 Feb 2013, 10:59 am
Regular Cruiser

Really miss this guy. He's been a ton of help to all of us.