PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Test a fan motor relay?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 May 2012, 08:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Post Test a fan motor relay?

Is there any way i can test the high speed fan motor relay and see if it's working properly. The 04 cruiser is doing the rough idle thing at stop light with the a/c on. Already checked the I.A.C and it's working properly. Found no vacuum leaks. I would like to test the relay before i buy one because the auto-parts store may not take it back if installed.
Old 18 May 2012, 08:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Test a fan motor relay?

If I wasn't so exhausted I'd go through the steps in the manual with you, but after working three days with a total of 6 hours sleep, I'm a zombie. However, I did pull the section from the service manual on troubleshooting all that stuff. If you want a copy, you can download it HERE.

Hope that helps...

I would need my own forum just to list my mods!!!
Remember, a PT Cruiser is not just a car, it's a way of life!
LAUS DEO SEMPER

Please visit the Tech Docs Library and you'll find many of your answers!
Old 18 May 2012, 08:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you for the download. It did give me another idea. I'm going to check the V.S.S (vehicle speed sensor) it senses the temperature of the coolant and tells the P.C.M to kick the fan on at certain temperature/speeds of the car. We'll see....
Old 19 May 2012, 03:16 pm
Senior Cruiser

Why don't you test the fan, first? That's usually the problem on our PT's when they're displaying the symptoms you mentioned. I believe there's a sticky on this forum that tells you how to do it, using jumper wires and the battery.

Tim
Old 19 May 2012, 04:13 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdfrodolives View Post
Why don't you test the fan, first? That's usually the problem on our PT's when they're displaying the symptoms you mentioned. I believe there's a sticky on this forum that tells you how to do it, using jumper wires and the battery.

Tim
This is a quick and sure way to check to see if a fan works however, this doesn't test for both speeds separately.

Of course before doing that, just turning on the A/C should make the fan come on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
Kawi is a friggin genius!
Old 19 May 2012, 04:16 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser04 View Post
Is there any way i can test the high speed fan motor relay and see if it's working properly. The 04 cruiser is doing the rough idle thing at stop light with the a/c on. Already checked the I.A.C and it's working properly. Found no vacuum leaks. I would like to test the relay before i buy one because the auto-parts store may not take it back if installed.
When I was testing/replacing a few things in my older Firebird and my Z28 Camaro, I had bought 2-3 relays for the cooling fan/etc. Even after swapping a few/installing them and finding out a relay wasn't an issue, I was able to return it for a full refund. Replacing a relay is like replacing a fuse. Pull out, plug in, and go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
Kawi is a friggin genius!
Old 20 May 2012, 02:09 am
Fresh Cruiser

well i figured out how to test the fan relays and they are both good. I removed the the relays from the power block and used my ohm meter to check for continuity between the relay power circuit terminals. Basically you set your multimeter to the ohms setting(i used the 2000k) and to see what you're looking for touch the red and black probes together and it should read 0000 on the meter. Now on the high speed fan relay that cools the A/C condenser you can see numbers next to the tiny plugs on the relay, the numbers you should see for the continuity test are 30 and 87a(or 87b,87c,and so on) mine says 87o. Next touch the red probe to 30 and the black to the 87a,b,c,....etc. (pretty much it's going to be the 87 with a letter next to it, not the other one.)
Hold the probes on the terminals and if the meter shows 0000 then there is no continuity and the relay is working properly. If the meter shows any numbers like say 1000 then you have continuity and need to replace the relay. Hope that helps anyone want to check their fan relay switches.