Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
purge code P0400

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 May 2012, 10:09 am
Senior Cruiser

Default purge code P0400

so my check engine light came on, i tested it and i got a P0440 code. Which is generally known to be a severe failure somewhere in the purge system.

Im thinking its the Canister Valve purge solenoid. Which is a simple enough fix. Then i open my hood and look for it. I can see it! right behind the "positive jump" post box. problem is its WAYYY down in there.

Anyone know an easy way to access this? without removing 1/2 of my outer engine components?
Old 22 May 2012, 07:58 am
Young Cruiser

Default Re: purge code P0400

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluminator View Post
so my check engine light came on, i tested it and i got a P0440 code. Which is generally known to be a severe failure somewhere in the purge system.

Im thinking its the Canister Valve purge solenoid. Which is a simple enough fix. Then i open my hood and look for it. I can see it! right behind the "positive jump" post box. problem is its WAYYY down in there.

Anyone know an easy way to access this? without removing 1/2 of my outer engine components?
I seem to recall from other threads in this forum this goes hand in hand with the P0401 code that I get on my 03 turbo. If so, it could indeed be the solenoid, but it could also be in the purge stuff mounted on top of the fuel tank. Could just be a loose hose. The service manual says the tank must be dropped to work on the stuff back there. The most often cause of the 0401 code is a loose or ill-fitting gas cap.

I've been through three gas caps, but the code popped up yet again the other day. I'm just resetting it with my code test meter for the time being.
Old 22 May 2012, 08:26 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: purge code P0400

Other Chrysler cars, not the PT alone, suffer from too frequent evaporative emissions systems MIL codes.
My 2004 has had recurring P0440 and P0441 codes. P0440 is a general evap system problem, and P0441 is an incorrect (excessive or insufficient) purge flow.
The purge solenoid is essentially an open-close switch activated by the ECU based upon data imputs, including the natural vacuum leak detector, NVLD.
There are many possible failure places in the system (tank, hoses, carbon canister, connectors, gas cap (code P0457).
P0455 is a large leak, P0442 is a small (medium)leak, while P0446 is a very small leak.
There are other codes such as 0452 or 0453 that indicate specifically a NVLD failure.
I replaced the purge solenoid (no joy) and recently the NLVD, which seems to have fixed the problem. The NLVD requires dropping the tank.
P0440, P0441 & leak detection pump- NVLD

RE: the purge solenoid, I chose to remove the air box, battery and PDC support (to move it) to gain sufficient access to the easily changed solenoid.
Your other option is to use a lift.

The pictures show the emission system "check Port", a schrader valve. I have speculated about this being a weak point in the pressure/vacuum system.

Last edited by sanatanadharma; 09 Nov 2016 at 09:58 am.