Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
intermittent miss at idle...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 May 2012, 10:22 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default intermittent miss at idle...

I have an '03 PT Cruiser (non turbo) that has developed a strange intermittent miss at idle. Some mornings it never misses...other days it does it at every stop light. The engine was rebuilt 12K miles ago and absolutely run's great otherwise. During idle with the A/C on, it will stall the engine (sometimes). I have already replaced the FAN as part of the rebuild -- it works. The only code I'm getting is the EVAP purge error which is likely due to a bad gas tank cap. The crazy thing is the miss went away for a couple thousand miles after I replaced the plug wires. Now it's back again. I'm wondering if the wires I bought are junk or if there is another issue...any suggestions?
Old 23 May 2012, 10:29 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: intermittent miss at idle...

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtofish View Post
I have an '03 PT Cruiser (non turbo) that has developed a strange intermittent miss at idle. Some mornings it never misses...other days it does it at every stop light. The engine was rebuilt 12K miles ago and absolutely run's great otherwise. During idle with the A/C on, it will stall the engine (sometimes). I have already replaced the FAN as part of the rebuild -- it works. The only code I'm getting is the EVAP purge error which is likely due to a bad gas tank cap. The crazy thing is the miss went away for a couple thousand miles after I replaced the plug wires. Now it's back again. I'm wondering if the wires I bought are junk or if there is another issue...any suggestions?
i would check the distributor, wires, plugs, injectors and your canister solinoid first, check the EVAP system hoses, elbows ect. its either a evap issue or a sparking/ fuel issue
Old 23 May 2012, 10:39 am
Fresh Cruiser

Distributor? There is no distributor on an '03 PT Cruiser I've thought about the coil pack but that little guy is $80 and no guarantee its going to fix it.

I have not checked the evap hoses other than when I put it all back together a few months ago. It runs very well, I would think a vacuum leak would be noticeable and cause a more persistent issue?
Old 23 May 2012, 10:53 am
Obsessed Cruiser

True, no distributor and the coil is pretty well built. Haven't heard a bad word about it and had people go back to the stock coil after supposedly replacing it with some high performance coil.

I take it your not getting any fault codes (engine light coming on) so there's no hint there of what's wrong. New wires, even if they are crap, shouldn't break down that fast. What plugs are you using and what gap are you setting them at?
Old 23 May 2012, 10:57 am
Senior Cruiser

meant coil haha been a long day and its not even noon yet haha. i had one fault on my neon, so its not a high possibility, but always a tiny chance.
Old 23 May 2012, 12:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I believe they were Autolite and were set at the factory default 12k miles ago.
Old 23 May 2012, 01:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Chrysler came out a few years ago and told the mechanics that on the no-turbo PT's the setting should be .040in instead of the.050 that's printed on the tag on the top of the radiator. If I remember correctly, the factory default on plugs is around .060in so you might want to regap your plugs to see if that makes a difference.
Old 23 May 2012, 02:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well, I just took it apart and replaced the plugs with new NGK V-Power plugs. The plugs that I pulled were not auto-lite but Champion. They had worn down to .057 vs. the .050 the sticker called for. I already put them the NGK in and set the gap at .050. The miss is GONE!

I wish I would have read your response before I put them back in at .050. Oh well, if this problem happens again there going to be re-gaped to .040!

Thanks for all the assistance!

-ltf
Old 23 May 2012, 02:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

.050 will do nicely. The new gap was for certain areas of the country if I remember right, I think it was cold climates so the engine would start better but most of us picked the new gap up. Like yours that you just found that widened to .057 from the original .050, the .040 gap will work well and as it widens, it will stay in a range where it will continue to work well.
Old 23 May 2012, 06:25 pm
Senior Cruiser

It's odd that your stock Champions widened to .057 in so short a time. I changed mine to stock Champions and used the pre-set gap of .050 and had (and still don't have) a problem.

Knock on wood ....

Tim