Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Blew out another Driverside CV!!!!!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 May 2012, 11:53 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Blew out another Driverside CV!!!!!

Okay....my wife calls me this morning that she is hearing a noise. It is when she was a stop, then accelerates there is a grinding noise. I take the car out and hear nothing under acceleration. Then, I made 360's under acceleration, and there I hear the rubbing/slight grinding noise. It sounded like the passenger side.

I then looked under passenger side, no rubbing of any parts, belts are tight, the CV are good. Then I switch to the driver side and immediately can see that the inner boot is torn to shreds and grease everywhere.

This is now my 4th (left) driver side CV in the past 4 years!!!! WTH!!

Okay, this axel I installed last year does not have an indentation on the inner housing. It was tough enough getting the last one out, which I had to use a chisel to remove it (no housing indent to use for a large screwdriver). I am just dreading this work this time around.....maybe I need to listen to my wife and get that new Mazda5 that she wants me to get....(nope).

Okay...this time, I am going to get a rebuilt one....if this one blows again....this will be the final straw (I know, I keep saying that).

2005 Touring Black - Automagic....California Smog Legal

H&R Cup Kit | TSW Sakata 18x8 35ET | Nankang NS-II 235/40/18 | SPC front alignment cam - rear shim | Master Pro Rotors | Master Pro Ceramic F/R pads | Rebuilt Cylinder Head - Safety Valves and Guides | Felpro Head Gasket and upper rebuild kit | Fail-safe 195 degree thermostat | Mopar Waterpump...lol | 3rd radiator fan motor | Gates timing belt kit | WIX filters (oil, transmission) | Mobile 1 5w30 | Mopar ATF4 | Redline Water Wetter | K&N Drop-In | 4th Drive side Axle | Energy Suspension Torque Mounts | 3rd set of Torque Mounts...
Old 26 May 2012, 12:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Blew out another Driverside CV!!!!!

Don't know a lot about them but doesn't it sound kind of weird that you are the only one on the forum that keeps having the exact same problem? Once in awhile someone comes along with a bad one, but 4 ????

Maybe it's time to enlist some experience help. Maybe your ding something wrong like not greasing something before installation or something that would make it go bad so many times. Just a thought.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 26 May 2012, 12:51 pm
Regular Cruiser

[QUOTE=CREWZIN;429114]Don't know a lot about them but doesn't it sound kind of weird that you are the only one on the forum that keeps having the exact same problem? Once in awhile someone comes along with a bad one, but 4 ????

Maybe it's time to enlist some experience help. Maybe your ding something wrong like not greasing something before installation or something that would make it go bad so many times. Just a thought.[/QUOTE

I've been changing CV since I was a young lad working at my uncles shop (20 years ago). So, I this job is really mindless, unless the part being remove become stubborn (as mentioned below). In all the times I have replaced them, I've used aftermarket ones. This time around...OEM/rebuild and give it a go and use a slide hammer (and the right adapter).

Yes, I drive this thing like I stole it.... all the time. And from the actual look of it, something must have got in there and did the damage. I can see this yellow fur-stuff mix in with the grease....did I run over a duck? Wait...this happened when my wife drove it.

I know..I keep complaining about the issue when something goes wrong. I have this love and hate relationship with my PT. Oddly, out of all the cars I have and had, this PT seems to give me pleasure or a different kind.

I will fix her.....again....damn BI*CH!...

H&R Cup Kit | TSW Sakata 18x8 35ET | Nankang NS-II 235/40/18 | SPC front alignment cam - rear shim | Master Pro Rotors | Master Pro Ceramic F/R pads | Rebuilt Cylinder Head - Safety Valves and Guides | Felpro Head Gasket and upper rebuild kit | Fail-safe 195 degree thermostat | Mopar Waterpump...lol | 3rd radiator fan motor | Gates timing belt kit | WIX filters (oil, transmission) | Mobile 1 5w30 | Mopar ATF4 | Redline Water Wetter | K&N Drop-In | 4th Drive side Axle | Energy Suspension Torque Mounts | 3rd set of Torque Mounts...
Old 26 May 2012, 03:19 pm
Regular Cruiser

Old 26 May 2012, 03:23 pm
Regular Cruiser

You know...I do remember running over something early one morning last week.

I see that there is some damage to the transmission cover and other markings in the area.

Something must have been on the freeway bouncing around the place. I can bet it it was a metal broom with yellow bristles. Things fall off construction trucks all the time.

Old 26 May 2012, 03:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Consider yourself lucky. I was called to a crash last Wednesday where a truck carrying scaffolding lost a metal foot piece which is a 3 inch round pipe about 10 inches long welded to a flat square piece about 9 inches square. Hit the ground and bounced up and right into the windshield of the car following. If it would have gone through the windshield it would have probably killed him. Almost frightened him to death as it was. All I could do is give the truck driver a citation for an unsecured load....$166.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 26 May 2012, 09:52 pm
Regular Cruiser

Crewzin......thanks for talking thou my issue again.

I just picked up a rebuilt axel. I plan on getting it on ....maybe...tonight. I just hope I can get it on without another alignment.

Old 26 May 2012, 09:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Good luck. Hope it holds up for ya.

Old 27 May 2012, 09:03 am
Young Cruiser

For whatever it's worth, I went through at least 4-5 axles/CV joint assemblies in my 89 Civic hatchback, all but one on the right side, before I sold it with about 145K miles on it when I got my Cruiser. All the work was done by a dealer. I suspected there was something else going on with the front end. So far, no such problem with the '03 Cruiser at 63K miles (knock wood...).
Old 27 May 2012, 05:17 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by reevescajr View Post
For whatever it's worth, I went through at least 4-5 axles/CV joint assemblies in my 89 Civic hatchback, all but one on the right side, before I sold it with about 145K miles on it when I got my Cruiser. All the work was done by a dealer. I suspected there was something else going on with the front end. So far, no such problem with the '03 Cruiser at 63K miles (knock wood...).
Same thing happened to my light weight 88' EF (D15b Vtech JDM engine 130hp stock). I mildly modified a few need....and got way too much torque steer... Also broke many CV until I got a set of TCI's, never broke after that...