PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
08 Air Conditioner Issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 May 2012, 10:06 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default 08 Air Conditioner Issue

Hi Guys,

On my 08 PT automatic (65,000 miles) I have been having a problem with bad stumbling when I turn on the air conditioner.
In Fact, it stumbles so bad it almost dies at idle.

It seems to clear up after 8-10 miles buy obviously something is not working correctly.
When I come to a stop light there is about a 75% chance it will stumble again, Not EVERY time, but more often than not.

The fans seem to be working just fine, but I did notice that at idle I do not get much temperature drop either.

Any Idea's on what should be checked?
Old 27 May 2012, 07:07 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 08 Air Conditioner Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarasmiles View Post

The fans seem to be working just fine, but I did notice that at idle I do not get much temperature drop either.

Any Idea's on what should be checked?
You'll have to clarify the part about the fan "seem" to be working. It does or it doesn't.

Wait till everything is cool. Open the hood, see if you can see the fan when it's not moving. Start the car and turn on the A/C and go loo at the fan again. It should be turning. On low speed it's hard to hear or see but you have to confirm if it came on. It should run every time the A/C is switched on.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 27 May 2012, 10:24 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
You'll have to clarify the part about the fan "seem" to be working. It does or it doesn't.

Wait till everything is cool. Open the hood, see if you can see the fan when it's not moving. Start the car and turn on the A/C and go loo at the fan again. It should be turning. On low speed it's hard to hear or see but you have to confirm if it came on. It should run every time the A/C is switched on.
Seems to be fine meaning that the fan does come on as expected. The problem is the engine stumbles to nearly dying at idle. Once in motion the car is responding normally.

Its like the idle does not compensate when the compressor kicks in? Or lets say that it how it feels.
It (engine)vibrates and shakes, the tachometer drops to a very low reading and on more than one occasion I had to restart the engine.

Everything was fine last summer & fall, and we did cycle the air several times over the winter on warmer days. It just started happening a few days ago.
Also, in talking to my daughter, hers started doing the same thing recently. Hers is an 06, coincidence? or is there a common problem?
Old 27 May 2012, 10:41 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The computer compensates for the drain of the compressor when it kicks on. Mine raises and drops almost 200 RPM's when the compressor cycles.

You might just trying to reset the computer. Take the negative battery off for about 5 minutes. Step on the brake peddle while the battery is disconnected. Then put it all back together. It's like a reboot on the home computer, clears a lot of small things.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 27 May 2012, 10:54 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
The computer compensates for the drain of the compressor when it kicks on. Mine raises and drops almost 200 RPM's when the compressor cycles.

You might just trying to reset the computer. Take the negative battery off for about 5 minutes. Step on the brake peddle while the battery is disconnected. Then put it all back together. It's like a reboot on the home computer, clears a lot of small things.

OK Will Do.

We do occasionally get a few electronic oddities in this car. One time the window stuck down, restarted, it was fine?
Old 27 May 2012, 12:22 pm
Regular Cruiser

Just to be clear, the fan that Crewzin is talking about is the radiator fan at the front of the vehicle. The reason I bring it up is that your issue REALLY sounds like it could be a bad radiator fan. Believe it or not, that would cause rough idling and stumbling when the A/C is turned on, and it's a VERY common problem on PT's.
Old 28 May 2012, 06:35 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry2011 View Post
Just to be clear, the fan that Crewzin is talking about is the radiator fan at the front of the vehicle. The reason I bring it up is that your issue REALLY sounds like it could be a bad radiator fan. Believe it or not, that would cause rough idling and stumbling when the A/C is turned on, and it's a VERY common problem on PT's.
Yes, I know which fan he meant, I replaced a fan on my 01 several years back along with the radiator that was leaking.

Now is the fan possibly intermittently bad? that remains to be seen. Since checking it while driving is just a tad difficult.

I'll do the reset this morning and then report back.
Old 28 May 2012, 12:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry2011 View Post
^^^X2. At idle it should be running all the time with the air on!

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 28 May 2012, 09:28 pm
Senior Cruiser

Do the fan test that's in a sticky on this forum. Both low and high speed. sometimes (a PT mechanic told me) a bad fan is not ALL bad. Sometimes it works, and sometimes not. That's an indication that soon it will not work at all on one or the other speed.

Do the test, using jumper wires and the battery on the fan connection.

Tim
Old 13 Jul 2012, 01:11 am
Fresh Cruiser

I have same problem. Where is"fan test in sticky on this post"?