Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Another a/c question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 May 2012, 01:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Another a/c question

I just returned from a trip and about halfway back, the a/c quit blowing. It's weird as you can hear the blower motor blowing and the air that comes out is cold, but it's...for lack of a better word...a "trickle." If I didn't hear the blower motor blowing, that is what I would think it was.

Any ideas? I apologize if this is one of those subjects that has been beaten to death.

This is probably in the wrong section, so mods please move as necessary. Thanks!

Last edited by BigBullitt; 27 May 2012 at 01:41 pm.
Old 27 May 2012, 01:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Another a/c question

Can't say for sure but the last time I heard something like that (and it also happened to me) it turned out to be the Low Pressure (Recycling) switch. It's on top of the accumulator.

What happens is that the switch stops working, the compressor never recycles (turns off and on) and it gets so cold that the internals freeze up.

Leave it off for an hour or so (to defrost) and then try it again. If it works fine, then stops blowing again, it's probably the switch.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 27 May 2012, 05:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Another a/c question

Thanks! I live in an extremely hot part of the country, so a/c is essential. It has been blowing intermittently for several months now, but it never gave out completely till this trip. I won't take the car out again till tomorrow, so I'll keep you posted.