Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
a/c not working, need some advice.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 May 2012, 05:22 pm
Young Cruiser

Default a/c not working, need some advice.

Hey folks!

We bought this 02 Limited Edition in December 2011. And, thinking ahead like everyone does, we assumed the a/c was in ok shape. Of course, it wasn't.

I've done some digging around here and elsewhere resulting in not finding my specific issue. That may be due to the oddity of the issue.

Basically, I've verified that the low speed fan runs, the high speed fan runs, the low pressure switch isn't allowing the compressor to go on and during the testing of the LPS, that the compressor will come on. Here's where it goes wacko. For some idiotic reason, the dealer's service people or the previous owner's service people have removed the schrader valve from the smaller of the two access ports on the fender. And left both caps off.

Since there is no good way to determine why the system was opened, I see my only option as acquiring the valve kit and installing it along with a new accumulator and having it evacuated and refilled. Knowing this is a good $100 on a possible solution, I'm looking for ideas about where to inspect for visual damage that has been reported previously. I'm familiar with the basic components of the a/c system and don't really know why someone would disable the system in this manner. A potential explanation for this would be helpful too.

So, anyone got some advice?
Old 30 May 2012, 10:43 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: a/c not working, need some advice.

How many miles???
My GUESS is that timing belt was replaced, and whoever did it just tried to leave A/C in place and in bending A/C line out of the way, cracked one of the lines, and replaced with a solid line without a schraeder valve in it.
Timing belt should be replaed at about 100,000 miles.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 30 May 2012, 11:07 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
How many miles???
My GUESS is that timing belt was replaced, and whoever did it just tried to leave A/C in place and in bending A/C line out of the way, cracked one of the lines, and replaced with a solid line without a schraeder valve in it.
Timing belt should be replaed at about 100,000 miles.
Just the valve core is missing. And I have no idea why?

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 30 May 2012, 06:26 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Just the valve core is missing. And I have no idea why?
Quicksilver, Busted:

The car is at 126,000 and had the belt replaced at 115,000 when it broke the day after we bought it. The weirder part is the a/c line has the valve body (fitting?) in the line, just the core of the valve is missing. As are both the protective caps on the two lines.

I can see them possibly removing the valve core and then removing the line or lines to do the timing belt. But I don't know what the shop did during the belt repair other than leave greasy hand prints all around the bottom edge of the hood. That thought does help explain why it may have been left this way.
Old 11 Jun 2012, 12:42 am
Young Cruiser

So, here's an update. I finally had a chance to investigate a little by using a vacuum pump. After literally digging around and finding all the bits and pieces, we replaced the missing valve core and pulled a vacuum on the system for more than 20 minutes. That's 20 minutes with the pump running and another 20 minutes with the system isolated through the gauges. It held rock solid.

So, I'm going to order a new accumulator/dryer and hope like hell this is gonna be the 2nd cheapest a/c repair in history.
Old 23 Aug 2012, 11:10 pm
Young Cruiser

Update. We finally had a chance to order the dryer. Should be here in a week or so. Then, a little installation time, some recharge work at a friend's place and we should be chillin'...
Old 24 Aug 2012, 08:38 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandaide View Post
Update. We finally had a chance to order the dryer. Should be here in a week or so. Then, a little installation time, some recharge work at a friend's place and we should be chillin'...
just in time!

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 08 Sep 2012, 02:17 pm
Young Cruiser

Had the opportunity to put the drier on last weekend. Got it all together to find that every last fastener involved in the drier was a torx fitting and I had no bits. Spent a little time looking for a reasonable set and found it was less expensive to take the car to a shop to have the drier installed than to buy the tools. And the A/C dude suggests a test other than my vacuum test before we go further.

So, I make a PT-line (bee-line?) for the shop and watch him connect an airline through a/c adapter to the suction port and charge the system with air pressure. I suspect about 25 to 30 psi with the goal of causing the a/c clutch to pull in to check the compressor status. I turn the controls to a/c and find out that I need a compressor to go with my drier. And, since I'm in there already, the line with an orifice in it.

There went my cheap fix. Now I'm shopping for a deal on the compressor and line with the thought of doing the install myself.

Oh, and a word to those that follow this path. Once you get home from having it tested and assuming your decision is to purchase later, be sure to bleed off the pressure in the a/c system BEFORE your significant other turns the a/c on and burns through the new serpentine belt...Yeah, got to replace that too.
Old 08 Sep 2012, 03:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Orifice tubes are cheap 5.00 maybe and can usually be replaced without buying a new line, unless you get one of the variable tubes, compressors no so much.

After a little reading, it seems the Cruiser does require the replacement of the whole line ( around 70.00). Thanks Chrysler......

With the shape the system was in, I would be very hesitant to just replace the compressor, accumulator and orifice tube.

Since we don't know what happened to the compressor and we know the valve was removed and open to the air for who knows how long, before I just replaced the parts I would have the a/c people back flush the system to remove any foreign matter (metal shavings, old oil) that it may have in it from the compressor crapping out or dirt and dust that entered the system because of the valve being removed.

The other alternative would be to buy the commercially available kit to back flush the system your self. You do have to have an air compressor to operate it. I belive they are around 350.00 with the chemical. If you take your time and use it correctly, I think it is just as effective as having a shop do it.

Thats what I did and have used it 3 times since I got it. Once on mine and twice for friends.

Last edited by dtrott; 08 Sep 2012 at 04:01 pm.