Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
So There I was.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 May 2012, 01:31 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default So There I was.

I was coming back from a trip of about 100 miles when I got the temp gauge start to peg out. I turned on cabin heat full blast and got the temp down and made it home. The thermostat was stuck. Doing an old school in Fla trick I tore the guts out of it and everything was great UNTIL about 3 weeks later I got a check engine light. hmmm I checked the oil for kicks and found it full of gas. Not a good thing. I limped it up to a station and got the oil changed and they had the meter to read the codes and it said it was thermostat. So I stopped at parts store and picked one up and installed it. I had checked the web and this forum before about gas in the oil and did not get much. Turns out that without the thermostat it runs on the cool side and that makes it run very rich thus gas in the oil. Thought I would pass that on. Most would replace the thermostat at the start and never see the problem but just in case someone does what I did.
Old 29 May 2012, 02:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: So There I was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostFlyer View Post
Turns out that without the thermostat it runs on the cool side and that makes it run very rich thus gas in the oil.
Now I'm the one that don't get it. Would someone care to explain? How does the two (gas and oil) mix just becuase you don't have a thermostat???
Old 29 May 2012, 03:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If the car is running really rich it could let fuel run down buy the rings into the oil. But it should have been blowing black smoke out the exhaust if that rich. Kinda like a stuck injector.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 29 May 2012, 03:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

you wil get a code and yes the car runs on the cold side my tstat stuck open and has been for a long time seems to run ok never getts hot in the winter and yes i knwo its a easy fix im just that lazy
Old 29 May 2012, 06:35 pm
Regular Cruiser

Mine ran so cold , most of the time it barely moved off the peg. Black smoke would be burning oil. I had no smoke at all. I am hoping all is well now. I will know in the next tank or 2.
I bet I have no gunk in the engine now.
Old 29 May 2012, 06:46 pm
Senior Cruiser

Thermostat stuck open (or even no thermostat at all) will just run your car cooler which in turn makes you use more fuel; bye bye MPG's.

PS You can check your engine codes yourself by doing the key dance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
Kawi is a friggin genius!
Old 29 May 2012, 09:44 pm
Veteran Cruiser

If you want to wear cylinders out fast that's the way to do it-

gas engines love to be nice and hot- 230 isn't too much
Old 30 May 2012, 05:58 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownSport View Post
If you want to wear cylinders out fast that's the way to do it-

gas engines love to be nice and hot- 230 isn't too much
i agree with the first part about the cylinder wear, but have to disagree with the 230* temp part. Or agree to disagree
At 230* my factory temp gauge it is entering the red I've been dealing with an overheating issue myself and keep a close eye on the temp using my scanguage
FS: '03 GT Elec Blue w/rear suicide doors or '03 auto PCM, S3 turbofold, WGA, 3.5" o2 & 3" DP - make offer
Old 30 May 2012, 07:20 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostFlyer View Post
Mine ran so cold , most of the time it barely moved off the peg. Black smoke would be burning oil. I had no smoke at all. I am hoping all is well now. I will know in the next tank or 2.
I bet I have no gunk in the engine now.
Blue smoke is oil! Black is to much fuel. Had one black the back of the car it was so bad. Stuck injector, a cheep can of cleaner and problem gone. For that problem. Didn't have any gas in the oil though. Maybe you have an injector leaking in the cylinder after you turn it off and seeping past the rings while it's off?

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 30 May 2012, 09:15 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Years ago, I had a thermostat lock closed on a Sunday when I was far from home. I had no choice but to take out thermostat - car NEVER came off cold mark - even after 100 miles!

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles