PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
HELP!! Codes and figuring out the fix

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 May 2012, 12:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question HELP!! Codes and figuring out the fix

Hi.

I hope someone can understand what I'm trying to explain. I've spent way too much on this car over the past month (including by the dealer mech) so I'm trying to figure out what I need to do next to get it running again, just anything you can think of to point me in the right direction would be of great help.

Anyway, I had my PT to the dealer last week because it had been stumbling and giving a code for a cam shaft/crank shaft sensor. At the time, the mech also said it needed an "overlay harness."

Well, my son replaced the sensor with the dealer part but it was still stumbling and getting the same code, so we took it in for the "overlay harness." This turned out to be one wire spliced to the computer/cam shaft sensor. They also took it upon themselves to change the brand new sensor without authorization and charged us nearly $500.00 for the two jobs. On the drive home, the PT broke down completely after making a sucking air noise like it was out of gas, but wasn't.

Finally got a day off and trying to figure it out. There was a code that came up only once: P1684 - Driver 5 Line 4. This code came up the first time read, and then the next two times, it didn't show up.

The other code is: P1391 - Wheel speed sensor 1-G Sensor Circuit Performance.

Is anyone familiar with this code and what I need as far as a part?

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by BlueInGA; 30 May 2012 at 02:42 pm. Reason: Year: 2002
Old 30 May 2012, 01:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: HELP!! Codes and figuring out the fix

The P1684 code saying the battery has been disconnect at one point. Nothing to worry about.

P1391 is another code for EITHER the Camshaft or Crankshaft sensor, not both. I know the list on the forum says something about wheel speed sensor but it's an old list.
Old 30 May 2012, 01:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you. Since we've replaced both sensors we thought something else must be wrong, maybe with a connection somewhere.

We just took it for a test drive. It just quit all of a sudden, no sputtering or anything. Now it's started doing the original surging/stumbling which led us to take it to the mech in the first place.

Code is now P0340 along with P1391. I'll busy myself and look up the new code being given, but can't believe we're still getting P1391 after replacing the sensors (along with that spliced harness wire).

Thanks again!
Old 30 May 2012, 02:03 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Someone replaced the magnet- Heard it occur once or twice on Neons- So you'd fall into the 'so rare you have to be unlucky' column

Interesting about the 'splice'- Sounds like it was a TSB or ...

Could also be wiring. Shake it while it's idling.
Old 30 May 2012, 02:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

True about the magnet. It's inside the Camshaft sensor hole and NOT a part that's replaced with the sensor and more than one person found it to be the source of a code after the sensor was replaced.

From a post from Jerry (wwpptc) the sensor magnet front and back it's somewhere around $14.00.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 30 May 2012 at 02:31 pm.
Old 30 May 2012, 02:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

There may have been a TSB (is that technical service bulletin?), but the other local dealership mech has never heard of anything like it and thought it was possibly a quick fix of some kind and exclusive to the other dealership.

My husband just came in, I mentioned the magnet and he's going to check it, so thanks for the tip!

Also will try shaking the wiring and will post back if we find the problem.
Old 30 May 2012, 02:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Crewzin, thanks for that info. I knew there was a magnet involved but thought it was within the sensor, so that might be the problem. We're on our way to the dealer to pick one up and hope that's the fix!
Old 30 May 2012, 02:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If your still here. When your husband gets back and replaces the magnet and sensor, don't be too heavy on tightening everything down. The bolts on the sensor are only 115 inch pounds which isn't very much and it can be over tightened.

From PT Cruizer.com: This is important, because the cam sensor apparently is also used as a cam tensioner.
Old 30 May 2012, 02:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Husband called the dealership. They had to order the magnet, only $6, will pick up tomorrow. Will keep you posted.

Thanks for all the info everyone. It's greatly appreciated.
Old 30 May 2012, 03:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Yes, please do let us know if that cures your problem. As my signature block says, it's not 100% guaranteed plus it was UptownSport's first suggestion.
You still could have a break somewhere in the wiring harness. I did.