PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Please help, on going PT issue :(

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Jun 2012, 02:38 am
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy Please help, on going PT issue :(

Hi there,

I have a 2007 PT cruiser w/ roughly 87, 000 km on it and the engine light came on tonight. The light has come on before and I've gotten a tune-up done (roughly a year ago), spark plugs and coil back changed (roughly 2-3 months ago), O2 sensor changed (5-6 months ago), and I use mid-grade gas (don't know if this matters or not). My car also shakes when it's ideling and it literally feels like the car is going to explode sometimes This usually occurs on hot days (rarely happens during the Winter season). When I got the tune-up done the mechanic hooked it up to the computer and it read that there was something wrong with my gas cap, so I changed it. When the mechanic (a different one) hooked the PT up to the computer for a second time it said my spark plugs and coil pack needed to be changed. Tonight the engine light started to blink for roughly 1-2 mins and it eventually stopped (this is the first time I've witnessed the blinking). The blinking occurred a few minutes after I got off the highway (going roughly 100km/hr). From what I've read a blinking engine light is not good. Can someone please give me some information on what I need to do? I feel like I'm running out of options and I really don't want to take it to the dealership so I can pay an arm and a leg for my PT to be fixed. I don't know if the wires were switched when the spark plugs were changed, could this be the issue? Bad wires? I'm going to try the code "trick" tomorrow to see if a code will appear for me. I'm a girl so I'm totally in the dark about car issues... please HELP!
Old 01 Jun 2012, 03:05 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Please help, on going PT issue :(

Need further info on you PT - Turbo or NA (normally aspirated)? Which model - base, Limited, Touring, GT? Manual or auto tranny?

What kind of oil are you running? When you say it idles rough in the heat, is your air conditioner turned on? Look at your tachometer - at idle, what level of rpm's does it show (should be close to 750 with the AC on)?

I could ask a hundred questions, and still not answer your's. As far as rough idle goes, many times it's related to poor gas, water in the gas, dirt in the gas, bad oil, cheap oil, non-synthetic oil, bad plugs, improperly gapped plugs, bad plug wires (ALWAYS BAD if they are factory), etc.

You say you changed your coil - next time a mechanic tells you to replace your factory coil, do us all a favor - back up one foot, the smack the snot out of the mechanic! They are maybe not lying, but the factory coil would take someone beating on it with a sledge hammer for it to go bad. Add to it, the after-market coils suck beetle-juice compared to the factory coil!

When they changed the O2 sensor, do you know if they used a factory/OEM sensor, or after-market? If they used after-market, again, you need to smack the mechanic in the face with a crescent wrench! Idiots, loonies! Any sensor on your car needs to be a Chrysler sensor (they are actually made in Europe by the same company that makes them for Mercedes). After-market sensors have been documented time and again as failing within 1 year of replacement.

Now, you mention changing quite a few items. Have you changed your plug wires or are they still factory? If so, tear them out and throw them as far away from your PT as you can! They are pure-D junk! Get you some new plug wires but make sure they are minimum 8mm in thickness. I'd suggest 8.5, if you can find some. There are many brands out there that make them that thick, most will do much better than your factory wires.

So, this is just the start of 100+ suggestions that I have to newbies here. Add to this, go to the Tech/Performance section and one of the first threads there is the Technical Documents Library - please go there and download anything you can related to your PT. I have provided years of collections of anything PT related, and everyone new here seems to miss that thread completely. It will be VERY helpful for you.

Last - answer my questions soon as you can, and others here can join in on helping you out.

Last, lastly - go to the new members section and please introduce yourself. Post pictures of your PT. Load up some info in your sig block that tells us about your car so that we have less questions for you.

All of my suggestions are to help you out. I am busting your chops a bit, but that's just my personality leaking out through these pages. Please, come back and answer the questions and I'll see what I can do to help. You don't show where you are from but I'd say, from your comments, you must be in Canada or Europe?

Oh, and Nemo? Why that name for a girl? One thing I can tell you - WE LOVE FEMALE PT OWNERS HERE!!!!!!!!! Believe me, you'll be most welcomed by our members. We love trying to help you out! If you were close to me I'd come over and fix your PT for you for free!!!
Old 01 Jun 2012, 06:01 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you so much for your detailed reply! You made me chuckle a few times with your frustration with the mechanics, lol.

I'll try to answer your questions as best as I can, but like I said I'm handicapped when it comes to cars :S The details for my PT are NA, basic, and auto. I'm pretty sure it's 5/30W oil and the AC isn't always on when it starts to shake while idling.

My cousin is an autobody man so I usually go to him when my car acts up because he can get parts for cheaper and he knows ppl within the car trade. His coworker at the time was actually the one who told me I needed a new coil pack. I knew there was something sketchy about that kid! I'll make sure to let my cousin know exactly what you said. I only paid $50 (I think) for the coil pack so it's not too much of a loss. As for my O2 sensor, my cousin switched that out. I don't think he put in a factory one though so we'll probably have to do that! Would you happen to know the cost of a factory sensor?

If the wires aren't changed with the spark plugs simultaneously and they are two separate parts than no I don't think my wires were switched out. I remember picking up 4 spark plugs for the mechanic and that's all. I will try to get the wires that you've recommended and have them switched asap (along side my O2 sensor). So the only thing that should be factory in my car is the coil pack, but everything else that needs to be replaced is better off replaced with a different brand?

I'll try to edit my profile soon too! When my spring/summer courses are over I'll probably be able to look around the site a bit more. I just took a quick study break to research my car because it's actually starting to stress me out. When I first got my PT I didn't mind the car because it's kinda quirky like me, but ever since the shaking during idling and repeated occurrence of the engine light turning on, I've become very weary that this car will last me for the next 5 years while I am in school Is there anything else about PT maintenance that I should know to make my car last? Keep in mind you are educating a girl who did not know that she needed oil changes when she got her first Honda Prelude 4 years ago and drove for a WHOLE YEAR never changing it! Haha, I know.. pretty bad.

Thank you so much for your quick reply and helpful tips. You're right, I am from Canada... Too bad I wasn't near you! You sound like someone very knowledgeable and perhaps my car could have been fixed properly for once if done by you -_-"

I chose nemo because that was my online poker name from my high school and I usually use it for any accounts I create online now! Lol... Kinda silly I know, but I'm assuming at the time I was influenced by a recent viewing of the movie "Finding Nemo".

I'm glad you guys are so willing to help female car owners... because we all know that it's us who need the most help!

Talk to you soon!

PS, should I be concerned that the engine light was actually flashing tonight for a brief period? Is it safe to drive my car?
Old 01 Jun 2012, 07:42 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Check your fluid levels, oil and coolant. the kind of oil is not so relevant in the case as long as you have it full at all times. The codes and rpm at the time of the event are important for diagnostics. Aftermarket wires yes, oem on most all other electrical parts. If your running the defrost the ac is still being turned on for that purpose. The gap on the plugs has been changed to .040 from .050, I believe was the number. But get the codes first and we'll go from there. Stay away from that parts replacer. They are often confused with for a mechanic.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 01 Jun 2012, 11:35 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for all the tips again!!! I'll make sure to get those wires switched out. I did the code trick and I got P0340. From my googling I got this:

When the cam position sensor (or camshaft position sensor) starts to go, it is usually signalled by the Check Engine light, a code of P0340 being set, and the Limp In (or Limp Home) mode being activated. The engine will not go over 2,500 rpm and those with manual transmissions will hit the rev limiter. Clearing the code may temporarily help but eventually it will be set again.

Is this accurate? If I switch out the position sensor will this hopefully fix my problem? Does the position sensor relate to the shaking as well? Does the position sensor have to be factory?
Old 01 Jun 2012, 12:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Sorry, I realize this question is answered in other posts, but just for my own reassurance that I am doing the right thing (because I've been doing the wrong thing for so long) I just want someone knowledgeable to confirm my next time. Thanks for your patience guys!
Old 01 Jun 2012, 12:11 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

It just may be coming on for no apparent reason, they can be temperamental.
Old 01 Jun 2012, 12:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

well to answer some of your questions
Yes I would go with a Mopar sensor they should be about $80 a after market is like $50 but not many if any have had much luck with them
The sensor will for sure effect the cars running but im not sure it will cause it to shake that almost sounds liek tis getting hot
the blinking is not good it can put the car into a limp mode as you alread saw and that sucks
I know you are a girl btu the sensor is a super easy fix its like 2 small bolts and i wiring clip and its done many on here can give you detailed drawing as to how to change it
Old 01 Jun 2012, 01:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruserdad1976 View Post
well to answer some of your questions
Yes I would go with a Mopar sensor they should be about $80 a after market is like $50 but not many if any have had much luck with them
The sensor will for sure effect the cars running but im not sure it will cause it to shake that almost sounds liek tis getting hot
the blinking is not good it can put the car into a limp mode as you alread saw and that sucks
I know you are a girl btu the sensor is a super easy fix its like 2 small bolts and i wiring clip and its done many on here can give you detailed drawing as to how to change it
I would definitely change this. Happened to me on a van and I thought it would be ok but just had to change it. May be all you need. Yes you can do this your self.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 01 Jun 2012, 06:12 pm
Veteran Cruiser

And you can pry that stupid red clip out and leave it off.
The connector won't fall off in a million years either way-

I'd suggest basic Champion copper plus plugs-
and Napa midline wires or- Order Standard wires from Rockauto .com

Also check spark plug wells-
water and oil can get in if oil is spilled or engine is washed.