Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Chugs at idle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Jun 2012, 10:37 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Chugs at idle

Our 2001 PT was in storage all winter with a full tank of gas (with ethanol). When we went to get it active again I decided this was a good time to replace the timing belt, water pump etc as it has 105,000 mi. Having done this on the 03 Turbo I thought it would be easier this time, but it wasn't really. I tried to be sure that the timing marks lined up and when I tried to nudge it with the starter to check it after 720 rotation it started right up. The problem is that is chugs, surges and idles rough. It runs smoothly at all speeds above idle and seem to have normal power. I am wondering if the old fuel could be a problem, or injectors or ? I just a bottle of Luca Fuel Injector Cleaner in it, but have onlyh driven it a few miles. Appecriate any ideas. Ikster
Old 02 Jun 2012, 05:28 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Chugs at idle

Did you add any stabilizer into the fuel before storage?
Old 02 Jun 2012, 11:14 am
Fresh Cruiser

I have this same problem. Bought my 01 from a dealer who said it sat on the lot for a while ... chugs at about 700rpm, and above that it's fine. I've replaced the spark plugs/wires, used sea foam, so far no fix ...
Old 02 Jun 2012, 11:20 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by q1h View Post
I have this same problem. Bought my 01 from a dealer who said it sat on the lot for a while ... chugs at about 700rpm, and above that it's fine. I've replaced the spark plugs/wires, used sea foam, so far no fix ...

How about answering Tim's questions on the other thread you started.
Old 02 Jun 2012, 11:47 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I don't think it's fuel. My wife's car that I'm building starts and idles on 3 year old gas. Just tried it 3 days ago, After a year sitting. You're out a tooth on the belt. JMHO

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 02 Jun 2012, 12:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
I don't think it's fuel. My wife's car that I'm building starts and idles on 3 year old gas. Just tried it 3 days ago, After a year sitting. You're out a tooth on the belt. JMHO
Makes sense ... I also thought this might be my problem ...
Old 03 Jun 2012, 10:57 pm
Young Cruiser

I did not put a stabilizer in the fuel. I have stored this car and two others for several years without a problem. I just thought that with the increased ethanol content that the 4 banger might be suseptible to cumilative problems. So, assuming the timing is off, is there a easier way to change the timing of one cam a tooth or so? I really don't want to have to take all of the front (right side) of the engine apart again. Thanks!
Old 22 Jun 2012, 01:33 pm
Young Cruiser

Well, I finally got a chance to work on it. You were right-the timing was off. The intake cam was one tooth "high" and the exhaust one tooth "low". In fixing that issue I found that everytime I tried to put the timing belt over the tensioner that I would pull the crankshaft about 3 teeth clockwise. So I finally got smart and moved it 3 teeth the other way and it pulled it right into alignment. Thanks for all the help guys.
Old 22 Jun 2012, 01:38 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikster View Post
Well, I finally got a chance to work on it. You were right-the timing was off. The intake cam was one tooth "high" and the exhaust one tooth "low". In fixing that issue I found that everytime I tried to put the timing belt over the tensioner that I would pull the crankshaft about 3 teeth clockwise. So I finally got smart and moved it 3 teeth the other way and it pulled it right into alignment. Thanks for all the help guys.
Glad to hear you got it running right again.

Tags
chugs, idle, rough idle, surges, timing belt