PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Wiring Diagram

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Jun 2012, 10:43 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Wiring Diagram

I would like to know where I can get a wiring diagram for the engine wiring which includes all the sensors back to the engine control module. I am having a continuing issue with a P0340 error code that I can't get rid of. I have replaced the Crankshaft position sensor, Camshaft position sensor, the camshaft magnet and the connector for the camshaft position sensor. They were all Mopar parts. I am still getting the error code, even after disconnecting the battery for over 20 minutes. The car is running in limp mode.

I am a former "automotive technician" (which is a mechanic for those of you born prior to 1970), but have not done much in the past 20 years. I can still use an ohm meter and check wiring, but I need to know which wires to check. I don't feel like paying $900+ for a wiring harness.

Would anyone be able to help me out with a wiring diagram? I have a 2005 Touring Edition with an automatic transmission. It has 110K+ miles on it. Timing belt, water pump and tensioner were replace about 20k miles ago. To this point it has been a great car and fun to drive. Two more payments and I will own it free and clear.

Also, if anyone has any other suggestions for me to try, feel free to let me know.

Thanks.
Old 03 Jun 2012, 11:02 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Wiring Diagram

Neither the Haynes or Chilton manual have the wiring diagram that your after. There is about a dozen schematics but not for the ignition. I also have the full 01-04 workshop manual which I tried sending to a couple different owners without success. Maybe because of the size.

You might try looking into our technical library which on top of the Tech & Performance section of this forum. Chromenut spent many hours putting that together and it has loads of valuable information.

You did try tracing the wiring harness from the Camshaft Position sensor around back of the engine, right? More than one person has had the harness wires brake/burn after coming in contact with a spinning half shaft and sharp corner.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 03 Jun 2012, 02:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Crewzin,

Thanks for your reply. I have looked through the technical library compiled by Chromenut, but did not find a wiring diagram for the engine harness. I have the Haynes manual. As you said it does not contain the diagram I need. In the next couple of days I will try to limp over to the dealership to see if I can coax them into making a copy of the wiring diagram for me.

It's a shame electrical problems are so hard to fix. I looked at the harness behind the engine, and it didn't appear to have any damage. I'll look again when I am not so frustrated.
Old 03 Jun 2012, 03:46 pm
Veteran Cruiser

There is a digital ('01-'03) copy floating around- Ask Chromenut for info.
Although wiring will be different than yours, it won't be that different in those areas
Old 04 Jun 2012, 07:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I went to the dealership today. The service adviser was nice enough to print me off some schematics and test procedures for the camshaft sensor circuit. I found a wire that was broken with the insulation intact. I never would have found that without the information the dealership provided me. The break was right about where the factory attached the cam sensor harness to the bottom of the throttle body. I soldered the wire back together, applied some heat shrink and re-taped the wiring harness. Works like a charm. I want to drive it around just for the fun of it, since it is working properly.

Maybe my experience will help some other frustrated owner in their time of need.

Happy Crusin!
Old 04 Jun 2012, 11:47 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Thanks for coming back and updating- Good specifics, too.
Old 24 Jun 2012, 01:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I am encountering a similar situation, my car died almost two months ago and the original code that was being thrown was the camshaft sensor. After replacing that it still reacted the same. Long story short after replacing the whole top half of the engine it still will not start and is now throwing four different codes which we found all go to the same 5v reference. I found a forum that said to test each sensor wiring for the 5v. Three of the four had voltage going to it but the camshaft sensor wiring was dead no voltage. I was hoping you might still have that information the dealership gave you? Even some advice on how to find the root of the cause. We can not visibly find a broken/damaged wire. Thank you!
Old 24 Jun 2012, 01:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Did yo check the whole wiring harness that goes around back of the engine? My harness actually broke away from the cheap plastic little holders which let the harness hang down and touch the spinning half shaft. That wore away the covering and eventually burnt the wires.

Take a really good look at the harness all the way round the back of the engine.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 24 Jun 2012, 02:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

We are checking the harness now but goodness there are a lot of wires and the one thing I did notice is that all the other sensor circuits have an orange wire going to them which on the forum I found said there will be one but to the camshaft sensor circuit there isn't a solid orange wire. There is a green with orange'ish wire but not a solid one. We know a littlee about wiring but definitely not experts so we are working with the little bit of information we are finding on the forums.

I want to thank everyone that responds to these because it truely is helpful!
Old 24 Jun 2012, 04:28 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Got OR in my FSM
TN/YL is sense
BK/LB is sensor ground

All go to PCM

Could've changed

Last edited by UptownSport; 24 Jun 2012 at 06:57 pm. Reason: Looked at 1.6 wiring instead of 2.4!!!!!!