PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Replacing PCM - 2002 PT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Jun 2012, 03:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Replacing PCM - 2002 PT

Hi everyone!

After replacing cam shaft/crankshaft sensor and magnet, my PT is still giving codes 0320, 0340, and 1391. Having had a lot of help here on the forum in trying to diagnose the problem, I'm thinking the PCM may be the problem.

So I located a PCM on Craigslist. I was told that I would also have to replace the key and lock from the same PT. Does anyone know if this is correct? Thanks!
Old 05 Jun 2012, 10:39 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Replacing PCM - 2002 PT

Never heard of that, but the PCM will have to be programmed with your car's VIN# - usually at a dealer.
Is PCM you got from same year?

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 06 Jun 2012, 07:39 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Replacing PCM - 2002 PT

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. The PCM is from a 2002 - found it on Craigslist pretty cheap. When we installed it, there was a code that came up that basically said the key did not match the PCM and the same guy has the key and lock. That's the reason for my asking.

There's someone on EBAY selling PCMs for under $200, and I believe it's as you said, he programs in the VIN. I'm going to check that out as we've had a very bad experience with the local dealer doing over $400 of unauthorized work they which had been done the week prior, and which didn't fix the problem. We really don't want to deal with them if we can avoid it.