Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Fuel pump location

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Jun 2012, 03:50 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Fuel pump location

Could anyone give me a tip for reaching most easily the fuel pump in a 2.0 PT?

In Europe I had many Fiat/Lancia cars before PT and these cars since the middle of '90s have a small and very simple security unit called FPS (Fire Prevention System) bulit in - that mechanically brakes the ground line of the fuel pump (a metal ball leaves its seat) in case of an accident.

I have some of this FPS units at home, and decided to build one in my PT. For that - first I must detect the ground cable of the fuel pump and I need to measure the cables between the pump connector and the engine room.

Last edited by AndrewJ; 05 Jun 2012 at 11:37 am.
Old 05 Jun 2012, 06:24 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Fuel pump location

The fuel pump along with the fuel filter are inside the gas/fuel tank.

Old 05 Jun 2012, 08:03 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
The fuel pump along with the fuel filter are inside the gas/fuel tank.
Thank you for the pics! I forgot about my Haynes PT Repair Manual - I searched only in the Chrysler official repair manual. Now I looked in the Haynes book, and I think my question seems to be a bit stupid..

In my other european cars there is usually a "service" hole in the floor pan for the fuel pump inside the car. As I see in the Haynes book - the PT doesn't have such a hole and I need to remove the tank for that.

Do you maybe know if the wire harness for the pump is located inside the car or outside under the floorpan? I think, that it would be enough for me to know the location of the harness to be able to measure it
Old 05 Jun 2012, 09:57 am
Veteran Cruiser

my mustang had an inertia switch in the trunk, it was similar to a circuit breaker. they are usually located right behind the carpet in the center of the trunk, directly behind the license plate. using one of these might be easier for you. they are resettable by simply pushing the red button back down. mine flipped a couple times when i'd launch the car at the track with slicks n' spray..

here's a link to the switches on ebay: ford inertia switch | eBay
Old 05 Jun 2012, 11:30 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
my mustang had an inertia switch in the trunk, it was similar to a circuit breaker. they are usually located right behind the carpet in the center of the trunk, directly behind the license plate. using one of these might be easier for you. they are resettable by simply pushing the red button back down. mine flipped a couple times when i'd launch the car at the track with slicks n' spray..

here's a link to the switches on ebay: ford inertia switch | eBay
Yes I also want to build in a simple inertia switch - It's from a Fiat, and Fiat calls it FPS - Fire Prevention System. As I know - PT-s aren't fitted with inertia switch - that's why I decided to build in one. It's easy to build in and very cheap !