Advertisements
Plugs and wires

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bmcia

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Jun 2012, 08:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Plugs and wires

My recently purchased 05 Touring 5 speed NA (49000 mi.)was bucking on upshifts unless I stretched the previous gear out to 3500 rpm so that I entered the next gear above 2000 rpm. I posted that condition on one of these forums and got several replies that I was driving it "wrong". I'm a 60 year old aircraft mechanic/pilot and I feel pretty certain that I can operate a manual transmission car. Here's what I found: I pulled the #1 spark plug wire (Mopar) and the plug, the plug was an almost new Autolite platinum gapped to .040. 2,3,and 4 plugs were Champion copper plus with gaps you could fit your mother in law through. I'm guessing someone changed the one they could get to then gave up on the project. The little purple machine now drives as it should. I can drive frugally when I choose to and can now take corners in town in 3rd gear, it pulls smoothly in any gear from 1000 rpm up and the idle is much improved. I installed a "good" set of NAPA wires and NGK platinum plugs gapped .040. Even with the 3 worn out plugs, it passed NJ emissions check and was getting 22-24 mpg in mixed driving.
808 likes this.
Old 05 Jun 2012, 09:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Plugs and wires

Way to go. Welcome from West Virginia!

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 05 Jun 2012, 11:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

ditto - just had a friend of mine call me two days ago, her Hyundai Elantra started bucking and heaving like an unbroke bronco. She had just had her oil changed and thought that had something to do with it.

I got over there and took the filthy engine cover off, and started to pull on the number 1 plug wire and it just broke off. $50 later, new plug wire and new plugs, and the car actually drives better than new.

If I've not got any codes showing, and no leaks, and no mods recently done, and she starts bucking, the first place I look is the plugs and wires... always...
Old 06 Jun 2012, 12:38 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcia View Post
My PT was bucking on upshifts unless I stretched the previous gear out to 3500 rpm so that I entered the next gear above 2000 rpm. I'm a 60 year old aircraft mechanic/pilot and I feel pretty certain that I can operate a manual transmission car. Here's what I found: I pulled the #1 spark plug wire (Mopar) and the plug, the plug was an almost new Autolite platinum gapped to .040. 2,3,and 4 plugs were Champion copper plus with gaps you could fit your mother in law through.
I woulda expected the first thing an old wrench woulda done was check the plugs!!!!!

Good work though- Glad to hear it suites you!
Old 06 Jun 2012, 12:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

LOL.....it was the first thing, it just took me a while to get around to it. I hate, loathe and detest working on cars so I have to psych my self up for it. And then I have to find my car wrenches with those funny MM markings, I have a 10 thousand dollar toolbox with 40 years of accumulated stuff in it but nothing in there is metric and I couldn't find something to measure in millimeters in the whole shop if my life depended on it.