Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Turn Key No start No sound

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Jun 2012, 11:59 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Turn Key No start No sound

My wifes 06' 2.4 turbo (62k miles) is stumping me. Randomly, mostly in the heat of the day her pt wont start. KOEO and I get all lights, batt voltage is good but when I try to crank, Nothing, not even a click. I repeatedly try to crank and about 10-15 times later it cranks. We were having to pretty much stand on the clutch so I bypassed the clutch engage switch and get the same. Im thinking the intermittent start is the starter solenoid or maybe the starter relay through searching the forum, but this is our first pt so I figure Id ask around and see what you guys thought about it. New batt cables and double checked the wires on the solenoid. When It cranks, starter sounds strong. We get better results when we turn the key on and wait a little bit..
Thanks
Old 08 Jun 2012, 09:33 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Turn Key No start No sound

Bump... I forgot to say when it does start it runs pretty smooth..
Old 05 Sep 2013, 06:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Back to basics> Check battery condition when it goes south. Simple copper wire tap to post but be careful or more professional battery load tester. Never assume because it is new it is good. remove battery cable ends and litteraly scrape post with a pocket knife or wire brush until they are shiny, reinstall and check. The big issue is intermittent. Attach a simple test light to the solenoid power lead and see if it light up when energized, you are right could be a solenoid. Highly unlikely it is the starter because no click! the problem lies before the starter. Remove and polish all ground connections. Sometime a weak ground can not handle sufficient amperage for the starter but everything else will work.
Old 06 Sep 2013, 04:12 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlambunion View Post
Bump... I forgot to say when it does start it runs pretty smooth..
Must be the weather mate - check this

Not cranking but have power
Old 11 Sep 2013, 10:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

My guess is the ignition switch - try pushing in on the key when you turn - I've read lots of posts of switch going bad.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles