PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

05 Crank Position Sensor Plug Pic?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Jun 2012, 08:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 05 Crank Position Sensor Plug Pic?

Hey Pros, Anyone have a color picture of the Crank Position sensor Plug from an 05' non turbo?

I can reach the plug but cant see it and cant figure out which side to push to unlock. I saw a black and white photo on here somewhere but it was fuzzy and I couldnt make out which piece slides to unlock, but I read there is a slide lock..
Any clue on the orientation of the clip when looking from underneith the car?.

Anyone know if the sensor can be removed while still plugged in(If I cant get plug off), there seems to be enough slack in the wire but wanted to ask first, then once I see the plug It should be easy to remove.

Thanks in advance guys. I have been following this forum for a few years now and have always been able to get the info I was looking for. first time I had to post a question.

Thanks in Advance
Ray
Old 07 Jun 2012, 10:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 05 Crank Position Sensor Plug Pic?

Ray,

I have a lot of the pictures, but as you say, most are black and white. You can see the locking tab in the picture as it's light color stands out. It slides to one side to unlock.

MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 08 Jun 2012, 09:37 am
Fresh Cruiser

Crewzin, Thanks for the picture and info. I did see that one on a few other posts.

The retaining clip the light piece the left arrow is pointing to? ok, I was trying to feel for one that moved longwise. Does this lock slide completely out? Wonder if mine fell out already, I still didnt feel it.. must be there because this plug is tough.

I know this sounds like the most basic or things and I am pretty mechanically inclined but for the life of me I cant really feel the slide.

Why I didnt think about doing this when I had the car lifted and apart to do the timing a few month back...

thanks again

Ray
Old 08 Jun 2012, 10:41 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Ray,

Can't really answer any more question because I've never had to change mine.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 08 Jun 2012, 03:03 pm
Veteran Cruiser

On Crewzin's pic, looks like the lock tab slides toward pasenger's side.
I do have a NGC Crank sensor, but can't find it ...

It only has to move over 1/8-3/16" to unlock, THEN you use the thumb tab (above the stenciling) and it'll pull off.

I'd strongly suggest pulling Red tab all the way out and discarding- It's simply not needed, and there only for EVIL purposes, IMHO.
Old 11 Jun 2012, 08:44 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the reply guys. I finally was able to get the plug out.... What a project. With your advice and a camera to see the plug and was able to unlock the plug pretty easy and remove the retaining bolt.

The sensor was held in surprisingly well with just the little Oring...lol when I pulled it out and came out in 3 pieces.. the sensor and plug pulled right out of the casing. I had to use a torch to melt the plastic case enough to pull it out.. but after 2 hours I installed the new sensor and finished my 10 minute project...

Unfortunately I am still having irratic idle at times and random bogging at highway speeds so I dont think the sensor was the culprit. Time to put the code reader back on and back to the drawing board.