Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
rad fan question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Jun 2012, 08:30 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default rad fan question

I have an 06 n/a and just replaced my rad fan. And that's all said and done. But I had to drain the rad obvs. And I filled it back up. And let it get to operating temp. And now its runs on the hot side of normal. And when I have the heat on it doesn't blow any hot air. Do I have a heater core lock? And if so how do I fix it. And help would b great!
2006 Cruiser, Non-Turbo, 19 inch Konig Trouble rims on 225/35/19 Ironman Imove tires, Airaid CAI, E3 Plugs, msd super conductor 8.5 mm wires, Freedon Design Strut Tower Brace, Glow Shift Pillar gauges, EBC Slotted Rotors with EBC Green Stuff Ceramic Fiber Core Pads, Lowerd on Tien springs, Full Custom Kenwood Excelon sound system with 1 12" JL Audio W0, 8000k Blue hids up top and aftermarket OEM Fogs with white 8000k in bumper. Ipcw Bermuda black true led taillights with tinted reverse lights.
Old 07 Jun 2012, 08:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: rad fan question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crid View Post
I have an 06 n/a and just replaced my rad fan. And that's all said and done. But I had to drain the rad obvs. And I filled it back up. And let it get to operating temp. And now its runs on the hot side of normal. And when I have the heat on it doesn't blow any hot air. Do I have a heater core lock? And if so how do I fix it. And help would b great!
Did you bleed the air with the bleeder on the t-stat housing?

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 07 Jun 2012, 08:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

First, you didn't have to drain the radiator to put the fan in but that's a moot point now since you already did it. Second, it sounds like you didn't get everything filled up and you have air trapped in the coolant system. That will cause you to run hot and stop the heater from blowing hot air.

Busted ....you beat me to it.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 07 Jun 2012, 08:52 pm
Regular Cruiser

No I didn't bleed anything, how do I bleed the air our to fix my air lock and cold heat prob. I also need to get some more coolant
2006 Cruiser, Non-Turbo, 19 inch Konig Trouble rims on 225/35/19 Ironman Imove tires, Airaid CAI, E3 Plugs, msd super conductor 8.5 mm wires, Freedon Design Strut Tower Brace, Glow Shift Pillar gauges, EBC Slotted Rotors with EBC Green Stuff Ceramic Fiber Core Pads, Lowerd on Tien springs, Full Custom Kenwood Excelon sound system with 1 12" JL Audio W0, 8000k Blue hids up top and aftermarket OEM Fogs with white 8000k in bumper. Ipcw Bermuda black true led taillights with tinted reverse lights.
Old 07 Jun 2012, 09:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

See if this helps.

Bleeding air from cooling system

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 07 Jun 2012, 09:09 pm
Regular Cruiser

I'm sure that will do the trick. Could I also run the car with the heat on and rad cap off and keep adding fluid? Till it stops bubbling?
Old 07 Jun 2012, 09:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Never tried it that way. How does that get the air out?

Old 08 Jun 2012, 05:15 pm
Regular Cruiser

That's one way to do it. But just be VERY careful, since the coolant can bubble over or shoot out at any time. I use a very large funnel and push it securely into the radiator opening when I do this so that if the coolant expands and needs to get pushed into the reseervoir tank, it fills up the funnel instead of bubbling over onto the engine.

They also make a special funnel for bleeding the cooling system, but I've never seen them sold in stores, only on the internet.
Old 08 Jun 2012, 05:37 pm
Senior Cruiser

i think every time you take off the cap you introduce air into the system. Keep the cap on and add fluid to the overflow tank and check it that way. It should bleed the air out after few hot/cold cycles
FS: '03 GT Elec Blue w/rear suicide doors or '03 auto PCM, S3 turbofold, WGA, 3.5" o2 & 3" DP - make offer
Old 08 Jun 2012, 07:49 pm
Senior Cruiser

Why not just turn the bleed screw, like you're supposed to. It does a great job. Also, before bleeding, makes sure your heater control is turned to full HOT. And it's a good idea to attach a clear hose to the nipple of the bleeder screw--about three feet long--and attach the other end of the hose to a catch can. This keeps the coolant off your belts, which will squeak if you don't do it this way.

It's not that difficult--except your (I think it's 10mm wrench has to be a shorty to get into the area at the base of the thermostat housing).

Have fun.

Tim