PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Additional Warranties

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Jun 2012, 10:40 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Additional Warranties

HI all, I'm new here, so I hope I'm in the right place for this. I hear a lot about an 80,000 mile (emissions?) warranty, and more to the point, that oxygen sensors might be covered. If true, is there a way to prove/verify/document this? Also, what about software updates - would they be covered under any sort of warranty? I have a dealer quoting me:

software update $100
both O2 sensors $360,

among other things. Thanks to some handy pointers on this site, I've decided to bring the motor mounts and radiator fan jobs to the home garage. Also, a big thanks to the extensive write-up and consistent follow-ups on motor mounts and vibration over the years.
dbleclk likes this.

The Best Defense against poor engineering: Reliability Reports at consumerreports.org. Buy the subscription before you buy the car!!

stock '06 PT, NA, 65k. the wife loves it
88 Cherokee, 200k - good fun
06 Accord - love the reliability
Got God?
Old 08 Jun 2012, 11:09 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Additional Warranties

I work for a dealer. If you post the last 8 digits of your VIN and your current mileage, I can look up if you have any available warranty.

However, I can tell you that neither software updates or o2 sensors are coverable. Software updates are not critical repairs, and o2 sensors are wearable items. Usually, o2 sensors are replaced between 60k and 100k miles, depending on vehicle, anyway.
Old 08 Jun 2012, 11:18 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks very much!
It's 65k, 6T207399.

The Best Defense against poor engineering: Reliability Reports at consumerreports.org. Buy the subscription before you buy the car!!

Got God?
Old 08 Jun 2012, 11:40 am
Fresh Cruiser

Also, if I could ask - what is opinion / consensus on updating the software? Are there important benefits / changes?

First, I'm hesitant to add a variable in the mix while I'm troubleshooting things and have no reason to suspect software.

Second, there's the issue of trust (in the Microsoft world, updates are about as likely to cause harm as good, IMO).

Lastly, that's a hundred bucks I'd rather keep, if there is no clear benefit. I'm the original owner, and doubt that it's ever been done.

Got God?
Old 08 Jun 2012, 12:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

i have never heard of a software upgrade crezwing can add to this as he has been here since the begingin

as far as a 02 while they are not fun to change and it doers take a special tool its easily a DIY and for a lot less than $360
Old 08 Jun 2012, 12:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

There has been software upgrades come out to fix some particular items. Even mine had an upgrade for the cruise control but if I remember right, only those owners that had a complaint where the software upgrade would fix it, received the upgrade. They weren't wide spread to all owners of a particular year PT, only those who came in for a complaint, and the TSB would tell the mechanic about the software fix.

As far as the 02 sensors, they are a ware and tear item but do fall into the emissions warranty from what I found out on-line. You need to have a fault code or OBDII scanner saying pacifically that the sensors have to be replaced before you'll get new ones under the emissions warranty.

http://www.epa.gov/oms/consumer/warr95fs.txt
Old 08 Jun 2012, 01:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Never ask any questions before - not sure I'm in the right place - sorry if I'm not. Also ditto to some handy pointers on this site along with a big thanks to the extensive write-up and consistent follow-ups on motor mounts and vibration over the years, among others.

Question,
I have a '06 Convertible and am about to get my 2nd Extended Warranty tonight. Approx. 54,000 miles.

Is it worth it?
Old 08 Jun 2012, 01:29 pm
Banned

Question Re: Additional Warranties

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbleclk View Post
Never ask any questions before - not sure I'm in the right place - sorry if I'm not. Also ditto to some handy pointers on this site along with a big thanks to the extensive write-up and consistent follow-ups on motor mounts and vibration over the years, among others.

Question,
I have a '06 Convertible and am about to get my 2nd Extended Warranty tonight. Approx. 54,000 miles.

Is it worth it?
How would we know if its worth it, unless we know how well your pt has done so far, what the warranty covers, and biggie here, how much does it cost????
Old 08 Jun 2012, 01:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you for your reply.

The dealer quoted me $1,600.00 for 3 years for the new Extended Warranty. This includes $100 for no deductables.

dbleclk
Old 08 Jun 2012, 01:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I am at a loss for what the new Extended Warranty covers. On the telephone he did say that motors for windows, convertible top were included along with what sounded like the components that come with an original warranty.

I've had to replace the CAM Sensor, the motor mount arms and the regular maintenance of the air filter, oil and filter's. I'm due for new rear pads. There are no 'major' parts that have been replaced to date.

Oh, and after looking back on my history, I do remember posting here before. Sorry for mis-communicating that info.

Tags
oxygen, software, warranty