Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Can you identify these headers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Jun 2012, 06:50 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Can you identify these headers?

Trying to find out the brand. Didn't see any markings on them.

They are on the PT I just bought. It has an Airaid intake, these headers, a Borla cat back and what appears to be Mopar lowering springs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0181.jpg (92.1 KB, 43 views)
Old 09 Jun 2012, 08:58 pm
Banned

Default Re: Can you identify these headers?

That's the JBA 4-1 header of course for the NA PT. It made no differance what-so-ever at low to midrange rpm's. You gained some horses on the top end, after around 5000 rpm's and up, but since the rev limiter kicked in at just over 6000 rpm, you didn't get much overall performance increase using a 4-1 configuration. Plus because of the weight of the PT, you needed a lot more power (torque) at lower rpms. You were going the wrong direction with this header. The same can be said for the neon long tube headers. Don't misunderstand me, the long tube headers are great and they make a tremendous increase in horsepower on the neons, but they didn't do much for the bottom end torque curve. They don't have to on the neons, because they weigh practically nothing compared to the PT. That, as I said, was the achilles heal of the PT. It was a heavey pig at the strip, especially when compared to the neon and as I also said, the rev limiter kicked in at just over 6000 rpm, just when a long tube header has started to flex its muscles. It probably wouldn't take to much reconfiguration to make a long tube header fit (remove cat, etc.) on the PT and If you used something like nitrous to come in around 2000 rpm to help get the PT moving, you could have a killer combo, if you used somthing to raise the rev limiter up too at least the late 6's to 7. Personally, I wouldn't trust the stock NA bottom to go there very often. The only problem with that is, thats a little early to shoot nitrous. I wouldn' bring it in until around 3000 if I was doing it. When I had the Zex I brought it in at 3000 and it worked great. I had Keene Bell remove my rev limiter and speed limiter (among other changes). The thing is the Zex alone made enough of a differance that I didn't need to even investigate the modding needed to install the long-tube headers, especially since, at that point, I was getting into a range that wasn't really safe for the NA short block. Plus I was afraid the atx wouldn't last long with the nitrous so I sold to a mustang owner and we were both happy. I kept my tranny and he went faster.

Hedmans 4-2-1 was the ONLY header that would make any REAL differance in performance on our NA PTs. It gave you a substantial improvement in bottom end torque. It helped make the PT a pleasure to drive around town. Bottom end is everthing on an NA from stop to stoplight driving. Of course you need more than a header to get the desired results, but the 4-2-1 played a big role in accomplishing that.

PLEASE click below for my Hedman 4-2-1 pics and pics of the bung that was originally used for the Zex and now for the Snow.

Jerry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 134.0 Hedman 4-2-1.jpg (36.8 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 116.9 rear bracket & Hedman 421.jpg (96.3 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 119.8 SNOW, etc..jpg (71.9 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 119.19 K&N Apollo intake & Braille.jpg (60.3 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by wwpptc; 09 Jun 2012 at 09:06 pm.
Old 10 Jun 2012, 12:13 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwpptc View Post
That's the JBA 4-1 header of course for the NA PT. .....

You were going the wrong direction with this header.
Thanks for the info Jerry.

For the record, I just bought the car two days ago. I came with the headers. Hence, my desire to get them identified. Had I been the one to buy and install them don't you think I'd know what they were?

01 w/JBA headers, Borla catback, Airaid intake, lowered, purple with shiny wheels.
Old 10 Jun 2012, 05:30 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenneK View Post
Thanks for the info Jerry.

For the record, I just bought the car two days ago. I came with the headers. Hence, my desire to get them identified. Had I been the one to buy and install them don't you think I'd know what they were?
Yes, I read and easily understood your first post ("they are on the PT I just bought"). I meant "you" as an all encompassing term, not referring to you personally. Pardon my phraseology. I'll let someone else get your stuff in the future so it won't happen again.

Jerry

Last edited by wwpptc; 10 Jun 2012 at 05:35 am.
Old 10 Jun 2012, 08:22 am
Veteran Cruiser

Some guy did 12's on a stock block 2.4- Or maybe it was faster
Lots and lots 2.4 swap in Neon, sometimes with 18's- DOHC limiter is 7200 or something- Mopar is 7500- AF/x is 7800
Agree it's not a rev master but bottom end will easily go above 6k
Old 10 Jun 2012, 09:49 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownSport View Post
Some guy did 12's on a stock block 2.4- Or maybe it was faster
Lots and lots 2.4 swap in Neon, sometimes with 18's- DOHC limiter is 7200 or something- Mopar is 7500- AF/x is 7800
Agree it's not a rev master but bottom end will easily go above 6k
DOHC stock 2.4 NA is rev limited at 6250, Not many, if any, owners on this site will be using anything other than the stock PCM to start their modding of the NA and still driving it on the street, so they will be limited to the 6250 rev limiter. Those that are serious and in the know, will use the AF/X or the BTG or SCT to remove or raise the rev limiter, but that will be a really small group. One of the SCT techs (sebringLX) is capable of doing it, but hasn't yet to my knowledge. I've spoken to him breifly about doing it when my Kenne Bell dies, but its still going strong, so I haven't pursued that any further yet. It'll be between the AF/X R or the SCT PRO NA when the time comes.

If you're talking about "Total Sleepers" 2.4 build, he turned 11.96 with the stock block, BUT his build was with the turbo motor. As you know, very differant strength factor between the NA and turbo bottom ends. His motor did let go shortly after that and he moved on to a DCR 2.6 built engine.

Jeff, Mike, and others have done miracles with the NA 2.4's, but as you also know, these are as far from stock engines as you can get. Jeff and I have compared notes a few times as a result of his visits over at The Crew's site.

Jerry

Last edited by wwpptc; 10 Jun 2012 at 10:16 am.
Old 10 Jun 2012, 10:32 am
Veteran Cruiser

Not a 2.4 owner- so don't know myself. PMed my buddy who has 2.4 with MS and 18's I think so he'll have the skinny on what everyone is doing

I swear someone just stuck some wild cams in a stock block (non-turbo) and did 11s or 12's- The old times database was eliminated (Guess Phpbb update was incompat?) so it very well could be a senior moment

in any case, it'd be best to think of that as a 'tubular manifold', not a header-
Headers work on sonic pulses- it is so short that there is no conceivable RPM it would operate at

If you could fab some PT headers, that''d be keen!!!
We did an accelerometer dyno before and after; stock mani vs. a new style AF/x with an NOS merge- It was high single digits.

Headers, of course, can be lengthened or shortened to 'tune' for a particular RPM, so if you're looking for power in 4500 RPM range- you can do that.

Neon engine management would simply shut off fuel above the rev limit-
it was simple, really simple, to piggyback megasquirt on fuel only, and, walla, not rev limit.
You can put it together for ~$200 and it works pretty well, ours have been on for years, only problems were of our own making.

Now I've not done this to a PT, unless I'm missing something (Likely) principles would be same.
Old 10 Jun 2012, 11:18 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Now here are two heavy weights in the performance end. So everyone pay attention!

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 10 Jun 2012, 02:17 pm
Veteran Cruiser

no- I really don't know much firsthand- Just listened to so many buddys that learned me up.

Here's my Buddy's reply:

Quote:
Originally Posted by belalegosi
Power drops like a rock after 6k on a stock setup. I've been revving mine out to 7600 with crane 18s. Completely stock block. I have arp studs ive been meaning to put in lol
(He did 2.4 swap)