PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Blinking indicator lights and erratic gauges - 2006 PT Cruis Convertible

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By misterfixit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Jun 2012, 07:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Blinking indicator lights and erratic gauges - 2006 PT Cruis Convertible

I've been having an ongoing issue with this car. I received it at 65k miles.

So far I have replaced:

Turbo
CAM sensor
O2 Sensor
Both Catalytic converters? (I think that's what it was. Anyway, there were two of the same thing)
Instrument Cluster

Since I've had the car, I have had issues with the different indicator lights going on, particularly the check engine light. It would throw a code, I'd get that fixed, weeks later another code, and on and on.

Most recently it has started doing this thing where I'll be driving and suddenly the seatbelt light comes on, generally at the same time as the airbag light. Then all of the indicator lights will blink on and off at once, and meanwhile the fuel, temperature, speedometer, rpm, gauges will all fluctuate erratically bouncing from end to end. So far this has not caused the engine to die, but it can happen as many as 4 or 5 times in a single 10 mile trip. Supposedly the diagnostic showed a faulty instrument cluster, but now a few days back from the dealership it is happening again.

Anyone experience this issue and find an actual fix for it? I have heard it could be corroded battery connections, but I've just had the battery replaced not long ago and there is no corrosion apparent.
Old 10 Jun 2012, 02:42 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Blinking indicator lights and erratic gauges - 2006 PT Cruis Convertible

I've not had experience with it in a PT but have had similar issues in another vehicle.

My suggestion would be to inspect every ground on the car.

If they all check out good. I would strongly suggest replacing the PCM.

01 w/JBA headers, Borla catback, Airaid intake, lowered, purple with shiny wheels.
Old 10 Jun 2012, 07:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Blinking indicator lights and erratic gauges - 2006 PT Cruis Convertible

You might check out the ignition switch.(wiggle it ) yes also could be a grounding issue, bad connection under the dash, sometimes hard to find unless it occurs often.
VNT likes this.
Old 10 Jun 2012, 07:49 pm
Senior Cruiser

I had the same issue, and replacing the battery and battery harness cured the problem completely.

You say the battery is new, so check the positive and negative wires, clamping to the battery posts. See if they are really, really clean and tight. Undo them from the battery and check the integrity of the clamps and the areas where the insulation begins. And not just where they attach to the battery, but also where they attach at the other ends of the wiring.

My guess (assuming you didn't get a bum battery, is that there is a problem somewhere in this area.

Tim
Old 26 Jun 2012, 03:37 pm
Banned

I replaced the electrical part of the ignition switch a year ago. Problem stopped.
Old 02 Jul 2012, 06:54 pm
Senior Cruiser

The switch inside the column can be come problematic. Manifests itself with instrument cluster going crazy. I replaced the switch with a new mopar unit. Took about an hour to replace.

Multiple threads on it

Ignition Switch

Watch video.

Ignition Switch Actuator Pin Assembly

89 Shadow ES 2.5 T2 +20's A555 sold
86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
90 Daytona ES 2.5 T1 A523
90 Datyona Shelby VNT needs work
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2
Old 16 Jul 2012, 12:03 am
Fresh Cruiser

I'd had the same problem, and a few weeks ago, a buddy and I tore apart the steering column to try to replace the ignition switch.

We ultimately failed...we couldn't find the release for the lock cylinder, which meant we were never able to completely remove and replace the switch. We futzed around with it for an hour or two, then gave up and put it all back together, leaving me with the undesirable intention to take it to the shop to get it done.

But now it's been a few weeks, and it's still not malfunctioning. I'm hopeful, but one thing is certain: clearly the problem is somewhere around the ignition...that was clear the day I jiggled the key in the ignition to see if it triggered it--sure enough, it got a lot worse after that day. I'm wondering if was a mass assembly flaw, but I'm hoping mashing it all back together will hold me for now, anyway.

I'll post an update...

Paul

06 Touring
111k miles
Old 16 Jul 2012, 12:10 am
Senior Cruiser

sounds like a busted fuzable link to me :-D check your connections :-D
Old 19 Sep 2016, 03:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I know this an old thread but our PT encountered the flashing dash light problem last night. The dash lights would flash about 6-7 times and then go out when the lights were turned on. This occurred when the key was on and when off and out. I removed the ground cable and cleaned all ends along with the engine/fender attachment points. I checked the 5 pin connection under the steering column with neg. results. The tail lights were out when the dash lights went out so I started to think there was something in common. I thought about the trailer wiring harness I put on the car years ago and stated looking at that. There was a questionable ground behind the right rear tail light. Because I no longer use the trailer I removed the harness and problem resolved! The moral of the story is if you have flashing dash lights you have a ground problem somewhere and if there is another problem, like my tail lights, it might help point you to the problem area. The 64,000 question is why do dash lights flash and go out with a ground problem? Only Chrysler can answer that I suppose.