Advertisements
Dead

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Jun 2012, 09:48 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Dead

Hola,

'03 MT non-turbo - just hit 90K miles. No CEL prior to dying - ***(edit) CEL is on now but we've been testing this and that with this off and that off...(/edit)*** Stopped dead at a red light a couple of nights ago, wouldn't start. Had to tow home. Got (over the phone) opinion of mechanic friend, spent Sunday (and $250) replacing fuel pump. No change.

My mechanic friend and I spent tonight testing ignition coil (seems fine) and signal to camshaft sensor and crankshaft sensor - they seem to be getting signal.

Is there a way to test those items to see if the sensor is good? No CEL is on.

Other thing we are thinking is ECM. Do I just get one on ebay motors that matches my engine and tranny. Does it need to be reflashed?

Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by mikelikestobike; 12 Jun 2012 at 06:58 am.
Old 11 Jun 2012, 10:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Dead

Timing belt intact?

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 11 Jun 2012, 10:04 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Timing belt intact?
Not sure how to check that. I don't have a lot of experience, especially with diagnosing - but can usually figure out how to change a part...
Old 11 Jun 2012, 10:30 pm
Cool Cruiser

Talking Re: Dead

So, the $250 spent on the fuel pump was money wasted. That money would have paid a Chrysler dealer to properly diagnose the problem and maybe even gone a bit towards a repair.

I suppose if enough parts are changed, then the problem may be solved, but that is an expensive way to maintain a vehicle, all in the name of saving money by avoiding those dealer crooks. Go figure.
Old 11 Jun 2012, 10:46 pm
Banned

Go to the "how to" sticky that is at the top of the "tech and Performance" section of this site. Go to the how to "replace cam shaft sensor" thread and follow the instructions --- removing two bolts holding the sensor in place, after removing battery negative cable. Now while a "buddy" turns the engine over, check to make sure the end of the camshaft (magnet), that is now exposed because you have removed the sensor, is turning. If it isn't then you need to replace the timing belt.

Jerry
Busted_PT likes this.

Last edited by wwpptc; 12 Jun 2012 at 12:00 am.
Old 11 Jun 2012, 10:51 pm
Banned

Exclamation Re: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWing View Post
So, the $250 spent on the fuel pump was money wasted. That money would have paid a Chrysler dealer to properly diagnose the problem and maybe even gone a bit towards a repair.

I suppose if enough parts are changed, then the problem may be solved, but that is an expensive way to maintain a vehicle, all in the name of saving money by avoiding those dealer crooks. Go figure.
I agree the bad diagnosis sucks

LOL, yeah the dealer always gets it right!!!
Old 12 Jun 2012, 06:25 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWing View Post

Yes - you are right, that was $$ wasted. Believe me I'm kicking myself. But thanks for the kick while I'm down, LOL. I never said anything about crooks.

We (my mechanic buddy and I) were pretty confident and the fuel pump, plus it happened on a Saturday night and Sunday - dealerships/ shops closed ... I was trying to just fix it myself and be done with it. Be able to take my kids home.

But we did some testing last night - he believes we aren't getting spark, but he tested the ignition coil and it's fine. He's thinking malfunctioning Cam or Crank sensors... or computer. Can those be tested?

Even if it were the Timing belt - would that cause no spark?

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by mikelikestobike; 12 Jun 2012 at 10:42 am.
Old 12 Jun 2012, 12:10 pm
Senior Cruiser

if the timing belt is broken, nothing turns, hence no spark. you should be able to take the tb cover off or feel under it to see if the belt is still there.

my bad, the engine will turn over, but that's it.

Last edited by soyomb; 12 Jun 2012 at 12:12 pm.
Old 12 Jun 2012, 12:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelikestobike View Post
Yes. Broken belt, no spark.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 25 Jun 2012, 10:28 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelikestobike View Post
Yes - you are right, that was $$ wasted. Believe me I'm kicking myself. But thanks for the kick while I'm down, LOL. I never said anything about crooks.

We (my mechanic buddy and I) were pretty confident and the fuel pump, plus it happened on a Saturday night and Sunday - dealerships/ shops closed ... I was trying to just fix it myself and be done with it. Be able to take my kids home.

But we did some testing last night - he believes we aren't getting spark, but he tested the ignition coil and it's fine. He's thinking malfunctioning Cam or Crank sensors... or computer. Can those be tested?

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
So end of the story. Friend and I couldn't really figure it out, but he was leaning towards Timing belt, especially when I told him about your posts...

AAA towed it up the street to a shop, diagnosed it for $45. Timing belt - teeth broke off - might be valve damage?

LUCKILY when I bought the car (I'm second owner bought from dealer) I paid a little extra for a Service contract. Once this shop told me Timing belt - I towed it to a Chrysler dealer and....

They fixed it for a $100 deductible! Told me there was head/ valve damage, but it was all fixed under this service contract! They had it for a week, but that was OK - I was out of town anyway. I lucked out on that.

Thanks for all the suggestions!