Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
03 A/C Problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Jun 2012, 12:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 03 A/C Problems

Hi there I have a 03 PT Cruiser and recently my A/C has been blowing warm air and i figured it was due for a recharge so i had it recharged professionally and after they charged it up a cloud of coolant came out from underneath figuring it just had a lil too much but also while idling you can hear a fan kick on for 5-45 seconds then back off when I left while driving home more freon leaked out the pressure release valve after the charge it was blowing very cold but the more leaking happened it got weaker

i picked up a do it yourself can n pressure reader while checking pressure the loud fan that kicks on for 5-45 seconds the pressure gauge goes whack buried deep into the red and once it kicks off it goes back down and once i put coolant in once that fan kicks back on and the pressure builds up it leaks it out again in clouds from the pressure release valve.

Help is greatly appreciated i have a 5 month old son and it is getting impossible to take him out with me during the day cause he will overheat and not stop screaming
Old 12 Jun 2012, 02:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 03 A/C Problems

This "professional" that recharged your system, it wasn't at some Jiffy Lube or place that doesn't really deal in A/C but they happen to say they do, right? Sounds like it was over charged plus your fan may not be working correctly. It should stay on the whole time the A/C is on, not stopping and starting. You could have a bad pressure sensor too.

Doesn't sound like you do much work yourself so I'd look around for a "real" shop that specializes in A/C so they can diagnose what's really wrong with your system.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 12 Jun 2012, 03:24 pm
Cool Cruiser

My suggestion would be;

Stop. Put down the AC can and step away from the vehicle.
Locate your computer and use Google to search for reputable AC repair place close to you. Make an appointment with them.

Seriously. You have a major leak and I'm wondering if you aren't trying to access the high pressure port. There is no such thing as a pressure relief valve.

That "fan" you hear cycling is probably the compressor.

01 w/JBA headers, Borla catback, Airaid intake, lowered, purple with shiny wheels.
Old 12 Jun 2012, 07:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

its a seal underneath is what i refer to as the pressure release valve i remember a couple years ago was the first time it happened all of a sudden poof a huge cloud of r134a from out the underneath and for the longest time it would only work on recirculate then it progressively got worse. for the most part now when running it will blow somewhat cold but after being on for awhile it starts blowing hot air then i shut the air off n back on n its somewhat cool nothing like it used to be in the first 5 years the a/c used to freeze ya out it was so cold. also have had minimal sleep in days my brain is kinda scrambled but i can work on um i have the learning power n like doin s...

Last edited by CREWZIN; 12 Jun 2012 at 07:45 pm.