Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
AC Won't Turn On / Possible Fan Issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Jun 2012, 03:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default AC Won't Turn On / Possible Fan Issue

I have a 2003 PT Cruiser with a 2.5 L Non-turbo Engine.

When I try to turn on the AC, the AC Compressor kicks in, the fan does not. Although the fan kicks in when the engine warms up. The engine has not been overheating.

I have read that some AC problems occur when the fan does not kick on Low speed (needed for AC), but still turns on High speed (prevent engine overheating). I'm not sure if it's kicking in on low or not.

Things I have tried:

1) Added freon - AC worked for a short time (3-4 minutes). After a few mins, I heard a loud sound and then the AC no longer would cool. I attempted to add additional freon, with the same results. It sounded as if the freon was "forced or blown out".

2) Checked fuses - The AC Fan fuse is good.

Any ideas / suggestions ?
Old 12 Jun 2012, 04:05 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: AC Won't Turn On / Possible Fan Issue

there's a "how to" in the tech section on checking fan speeds. i'd bet one of the speeds is shot.
Old 12 Jun 2012, 08:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The radiator fan comes on HIGH speed when AC is on,the low speed comes on when engine temp reaches a limit set by the engine temp. sensor, You won't get over heating if the coolant is full but your air won't be coldest at idle and the engine will bog down when the compressor kicks on and cycles through the high limit. WITH THE AIR OFF the high speed comes on only if the engine temp. exceeds 140 deg., Like after you slow down from freeway trip and the hotter coolant rushes from the radiator. It's normal to do that to stabilize the coolant temp..The previous post explain this.
Old 12 Jun 2012, 10:35 pm
Regular Cruiser

If the fan works when the engine heats up, but doesn't work when you turn on the A/C, then one of the speeds on your fan is shot. Possibly it could be a faulty relay, but I doubt it. It's almost always the fan that needs replacing.

Once it's replaced, the A/C will be cold and if you're getting any engine stumbling at idle that will go away too.

Tags
a/c, air, compressor, fan, freon