PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
It's back...Mis-fires in Cylinders #3 and #4?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Jun 2012, 10:19 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default It's back...Mis-fires in Cylinders #3 and #4?

Hey, guys. Just wondering if anyone could offer any suggestions on this one. I've had a shop with a scanner road test my 2002 PT and verify that what I had been interpreting as a mis-fore when decelerating between 70mph to 60 mph is actually several hundred misfires on cylinders #3 and #4.

I just changed my plugs and wires and valve cover gaskets (had a leak in the spark plug gasket on #3, which caused the threads to be coated in oil). Although they picked up the misfires when they scanned it during a test drive, the misfires haven't tripped the check engine light or stored any codes in the ECM. No head gasket issues/symptoms noted. Would you guys suspect a bad coil or possibly both the #3 and #4 injectors(even though I have no hard fault codes stored)? This doesn't happen under load, only at steady throttle or more pronounced upon deceleration. I thought I had this one fixed before, but not yet, it seems. I just don't have the money to take it to the stealership, and was hoping someone might have some suggestions here.
Thanks in advance. The vehicle has 142,000 miles on it, and the timing belt/tensioner/water pump were already done.

Steve
Old 13 Jun 2012, 11:39 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: It's back...Mis-fires in Cylinders #3 and #4?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sscanlan View Post
mis-fore when decelerating between 70mph to 60 mph is actually several hundred misfires on cylinders #3 and #4.

I have no hard fault codes stored
PCM shuts off fuel on decel. It's not supposed to fire

If you're worried about injectors- Swap them with 1 & 2 and see if they misfire.