PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

My Pt Cruiser is overheating

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Jun 2012, 07:08 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default My Pt Cruiser is overheating

So yesterday I noticed my 05 non turbo pt cruiser began to overheat. It started by the temp needle on gauge fluctuating on idle and as i drove it it lowered to normal temp, then a few minutes later while still driving it began overheating again to the point where i heard and saw boiling from the reservoir tank. I replaced the thermostat thinking that would be it but it was fine for a couple hours and then began to overheat again. there are no coolant leaks and my RAD. Fan works fine because i just replaced the entire assembly 3 wks ago and i hear both low and high speeds go off. So if its not my fan nor my thermostat Im thinking maybe water pump (but i have no leaks) or coolant sensor maybe..i am also wondering why it began to boil. I really don't know can someone please help me with this i'm stumped and i really need my car.
Old 17 Jun 2012, 07:32 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: My Pt Cruiser is overheating

We need additional information. Does it overheat at highway speed or in traffic? What's the condition of the coolant and radiator? When the fan failed, did the car overheat? Was the timing belt and water pump ever replaced? How many miles on the odometer?

Original Owner 135k
2005 Turbo Touring Convertible Auto w/ Stage 1, DSP inTune w/ Diablo Tune, Composite Intake, Air Box Modification, Hard Pipes, K&N, KYB's, Vision Motorworks Wires, Continental Extreme Contact DWS, Rear Sway Bar, Strut Tower Bar, UltraGauge.
Old 17 Jun 2012, 05:08 pm
Senior Cruiser

One way to check your water pump operation, is to warm up the car and turn on your heat full blast. If the air is hot, then your water pump is pumping correctly.

Check your new thermostat by gripping the upper radiator hose when the engine is nice and warmed up (after the abovementioned water-pump test is a good time). If the upper hose is nice and hot, then your thermostat is opening. If it's not too hot, or not hot at all, then you may have installed the thermostat improperly.

Tim
Old 17 Jun 2012, 05:11 pm
Senior Cruiser

Forgot to mention a clogged radiator--or maybe the temp sensor, just below the thermostat housing cover was messed with when you changed the thermostat and bled the system ....

Tim
Old 18 Jun 2012, 06:58 am
Fresh Cruiser

So Ive tried as Tim mentioned, the thermostat seems to work as the hose gets hot. I started the car (cold)and left the radiator cap off until warm. When the car got warm the coolant just came up. Is it supposed to do that or is that the water pump malfunctioning? then when i put the cap on the coolant just seems to fill the reservoir tank.