PT Cruiser Forum

Rough Idle..

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Jun 2012, 11:14 am
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy Rough Idle..

Hi all:

I've got a base model 2005 Cruiser (non GT/Turbo), roughly around 77,500 miles. Babied and maintained to a T. I know there a multitude of problems with rough idle in the PT Cruiser. I've read enough on here to know the major sources of the problems.

Awhile back I noticed sometimes that the car would idle very roughly when first starting it, and if left alone the check engine light would come on. Then, once you start it up again, it would be fine!

After reading some posts on the subject, I made the decision to change the plugs and wires (gapped at .050). Also did some other routine maintenance such as the PCV valve. After that, no problems.....until this morning.

Same symptoms as before. Anyone have any ideas? I know that the IAC could be cleaned out/replaced, and I could check the gaps on the plugs again. The newest idea that I've seen people have problems with is the Radiator fan. If this is the case, does the whole assembly have to be replaced, or can you just get the motor for it? Just some general information on the subject would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 21 Jun 2012, 11:35 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Rough Idle..

I was told on the forum the .050 is not correct, that it should be .040. (service bulletin)
However, that will likely have no affect on your idle....
Old 21 Jun 2012, 11:46 am
Obsessed Cruiser

32 is wright on that. Far as the fan, assembly is as cheap as any. Check yours first. Try some fuel injection cleaner if not done so.

03 Dream stock
04 Touring turbo lite stock
02 Touring stock

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 21 Jun 2012, 11:58 am
Fresh Cruiser

Talked to my old man about it. Father/son project it looks like. Gonna change the oil and re-gap the plugs (i'm sure they've drifted even farther from the .050 over time). I'll be sure and throw in some injector cleaner into the tank.

In the event that the obvious choices here don't work out, any other ideas? Would just like to have some back up ideas when we open the hood.
Old 21 Jun 2012, 12:25 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeluh_boy View Post
Hi all:

I've got a base model 2005 Cruiser (non GT/Turbo), roughly around 77,500 miles. Babied and maintained to a T. I know there a multitude of problems with rough idle in the PT Cruiser. I've read enough on here to know the major sources of the problems.

Awhile back I noticed sometimes that the car would idle very roughly when first starting it, and if left alone the check engine light would come on. Then, once you start it up again, it would be fine!

After reading some posts on the subject, I made the decision to change the plugs and wires (gapped at .050). Also did some other routine maintenance such as the PCV valve. After that, no problems.....until this morning.

Same symptoms as before. Anyone have any ideas? I know that the IAC could be cleaned out/replaced, and I could check the gaps on the plugs again. The newest idea that I've seen people have problems with is the Radiator fan. If this is the case, does the whole assembly have to be replaced, or can you just get the motor for it? Just some general information on the subject would be appreciated. Thanks!
same symptoms as before mean the check engine light is back on? any codes? did you get gas last night? maybe just bad gas?

ever try sucking seafoam in the PCV? it's fun. scary but fun. the neighbors'll love it too. made my idle so smooth you couldn't tell it was running. i've never been scared by seafoam before.

seafoam is kinda fun....when dad's not around:

they sell it everywhere. the can looks like this:

-if you try it, try it before checking the plugs.
since you baby your car the motor probably has all sorts of carbon and crap in
it and you'll probably get a pretty spectacular cloud from all the crap being cleaned out.

Last edited by rob342; 21 Jun 2012 at 12:36 pm.
Old 21 Jun 2012, 01:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I got the check engine light, but as soon as I re-start the car it goes away. I've checked for codes in the past, but never turned up any. I may not have been doing that at the right time though.

Looking up Seafoaming your car..it intrigues me and scares me at the same time. lol
rob342 likes this.
Old 21 Jun 2012, 02:03 pm
Cool Cruiser

I have a can of seafoam in my tank right now, to clean the fuel system.
No scary smoke, at all...
I use it in my other cars and motorcyle occasionally as well.
Old 21 Jun 2012, 03:02 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32seventeen View Post
I have a can of seafoam in my tank right now, to clean the fuel system.
No scary smoke, at all...
I use it in my other cars and motorcyle occasionally as well.
you get the scary smoke when you suck it into the vacuum line running to the PCV valve. then you shut it off and let it sit for ten minutes. when you start it up and rev it up, you get smoke(LOTS of smoke if it's dirty) -it's fun when you're young.
Old 23 Jun 2012, 09:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Wouldn't this stuff have an adverse affect on your catalytic converter? i bought some, but i don't think i'm gonna use it for fear of any bad after effects..
Old 24 Jun 2012, 11:26 am
Dedicated Cruiser

i've never had any ill effects from it. every car i've used it in had a cat.converter. i've done it to 2 civics, a lincoln mark viii, a prelude, and the PT. i think imma do it to the PT again later just because i still have a half can on the shelf. maybe i'll video tape it (:

Tags
radiator fan, rough idle