PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Leaking antifreeze

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Jun 2012, 12:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Leaking antifreeze

I put anti freeze in the car and it runs rights out as fast as I can pour it. The leak is on the side of the car. I remove the black cover under the car but really can't see much. It's a 2001 cruiser with 200,000 miles. I got it for really cheap and it's in pretty good condition body and interior wise. I'm hoping its not the water pump but that might be the problem. Would the water pump dump the water out as fast as you put it in? I would hate to part out such a nice car.
Old 24 Jun 2012, 12:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Leaking antifreeze

Don't think the water pump would leak that fast, unless it was cracked. Have you gotten under the car to see if you can see where the coolant is coming from? Liquid is funny and will find a way down, not necessarily straight down. Could be the side of the radiator, thermostat housing or a bad hose. Use a flashlight from the top and look down at the area under the radiator cap to see if you can see anything. You might have to get it on a lift or ramp with someone filling the radiator while you are under neath looking for the leak.

Welcome to the forum.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 24 Jun 2012, 12:14 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

there are so many weird coolant pipes and hoses on this car you reeeeallly gotta get under there and look.

mine had the lower radiator hose chafe against the fan housing, causing a 1/4" hole in an area you can't see. it was leaking off the front passenger side. coolant was running down the hose, along the bottom of the radiator, onto the black plastic, traveling a few inches over, and then leaking onto the ground. it leaked as fast as you describe. i've never seen a waterpump POUR out that fast
Old 24 Jun 2012, 02:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The metal pipe that goes in the back of the water pump can rust out and leek. It's on the front of the motor, radiator hose on the left the other end going into the back of the water pump housing on the right. Were it goes into the housing is were they rust. Just one more place to look.

03 Dream stock
04 Touring turbo lite stock
02 Touring stock

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 24 Jun 2012, 03:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I did get under the car in attempt to fine the leak. I will look harder. I know it looks to be coming up above the main pulley. I changed the radiator fan yesterday and never had the problem before that maybe I broke something. Is there any pics of where the water pump is? It's just hard seeing anything. Back under the car I go. Thanks for the help.
Old 24 Jun 2012, 03:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

This probably won't help at all, but here goes. First, the diagram illustrates the serpinetine and alternator belt routing and the angle is from the passenger wheel well after you take off the wheel and inner liner. The smaller wheels between the 3 larger wheels that the serpentine belt goes around is the shaft for the water pump.

MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 24 Jun 2012, 03:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Took a really good look under the car really can't trace the leak. It looks to be leaking right above the main pulley. I did notice that with the radiator cap on it stop leaking. Pull the cap off and the flood gates begin. Any ideas why? Would I get a better view with the wheel off? I will keep looking.
Old 24 Jun 2012, 05:37 pm
Regular Cruiser

Hmmm... Check to make sure that the hose to the reservoir tank is connected and in good condition. Maybe when the cap is on, it blocks that opening and doesn't allow it to leak out. Just a thought.
Old 24 Jun 2012, 09:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

What should be removed to get a good look at the water pump area? I really want to get to the bottom of this leak. I feel the only way is to disassemble a few things. In short what need to remove for a unrestricted view?
Old 14 Jan 2014, 10:31 am
Fresh Cruiser

I have a similar problem. leak seems to be above the big pulley, that's the last place I can see the antifreeze dripping from. any suggestion? Pump or head gasket?