Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
A Question for the Mechanically Inclined

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Jun 2012, 10:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default A Question for the Mechanically Inclined

We gave our daughter our old 2007 PT Cruiser, and she's driven it for the last 3 years. She's now returned it to us in not-so-great shape. I had a mechanic look at it and the estimate to repair it says it needs a Crankshaft Position Sensor, a Radiator Cooling Fan Motor and an Oil Pressure Sender. His estimate is $750.

Thing is, the car has 150,000 miles on it and hasn't had a timing belt replaced. Surely it wouldn't make sense to do the above, and not replace the timing belt, would it? Not knowing the motor, I don't know if the work of replacing the Crankshaft Position Sensor might lessen the cost of the timing belt replacement.

The Cruiser really has been a near trouble-free car, and the body and interior is in reasonably good shape. Thoughts about what makes sense to do from here? Thanks for whatever counsel you can give!
Old 26 Jun 2012, 10:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: A Question for the Mechanically Inclined

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTexan View Post
We gave our daughter our old 2007 PT Cruiser, and she's driven it for the last 3 years. She's now returned it to us in not-so-great shape. I had a mechanic look at it and the estimate to repair it says it needs a Crankshaft Position Sensor, a Radiator Cooling Fan Motor and an Oil Pressure Sender. His estimate is $750.

Thing is, the car has 150,000 miles on it and hasn't had a timing belt replaced. Surely it wouldn't make sense to do the above, and not replace the timing belt, would it? Not knowing the motor, I don't know if the work of replacing the Crankshaft Position Sensor might lessen the cost of the timing belt replacement.

The Cruiser really has been a near trouble-free car, and the body and interior is in reasonably good shape. Thoughts about what makes sense to do from here? Thanks for whatever counsel you can give!
The money is way on the high side. Will check back tomorrow as it's late for more thoughts.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 26 Jun 2012, 10:20 pm
Senior Cruiser

If it was my daughter I'd see that she got the bill !
If the car is otherwise solid and can give you a few more years, it's a cheap investment if she's at least regularly maintained it, and other problems aren't bound to surface.
Thing is, as any car owner will tell you, it's a mojo you develop in learning how your car is bound to behave.. and in this economy if you have a good vibe, why not keep it? ( I guess the question you haven't been asked is .. do you need to keep it ?.. if so, then it's a small bill to pay overall.
'03 GT Blue/ autostick.. 160,000KM ( That's 100,000miles for y'all South of the border ) All the options, the heated leather is a must up here in Canada, Love the solid heavy duty feel and obvious Torque.. The Turbo is strong, fast and reliable.. People that don't understand the love of a PT, probably don't deserve to.
Old 26 Jun 2012, 10:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:

well everything you quoted is under $200 in parts the fan is like $90 the sensor arond $50 the oil presuer sensor is like $35 the timing belt is between $750-$1000 to me if the car is in good shape id find a diffrent mech and get it fixed i did the same with my used S10 gave it to my daughter and they put about 30,000 and threw a rod i took it back and replaced the engin and now i drive it again
Old 26 Jun 2012, 11:30 pm
Cool Cruiser

Indeed WAAAAAAAAY too much $$ for those three little things.

Agree that if you're gonna send it to a shop, get the timing belt, water pump & tensioner replaced as well. You're running on borrowed time with that timing belt.

01 w/JBA headers, Borla catback, Airaid intake, lowered, purple with shiny wheels.

Last edited by JenneK; 27 Jun 2012 at 12:05 am.
Old 27 Jun 2012, 12:01 am
Obsessed Cruiser

If you are sure that those are the things needing replacing you could shop for you own parts on e-bay, amazon, etc., and wherever you can find the best prices for quality parts. Then as I am guessing you are from Texas(?) you could go to craigslist or a local small new ad those one that always come with junk mail and start screening for a good mechanic that is looking for work. Ask what their credentials and experience is. Don't be shy and they should be eager to give this to you anyway. You would be surprised the quality work at very reasonable rates these low or out of work Auto Techs are offering.
Any that are ASE certified are naturally the first choice.

Vlefaive partial quote:
"Thing is, as any car owner will tell you, it's a mojo you develop in learning how your car is bound to behave."

soooo true!

Last edited by NitroPT; 27 Jun 2012 at 12:04 am. Reason: added last line
Old 27 Jun 2012, 12:15 am
Banned

Question Re: A Question for the Mechanically Inclined

Last edited by Busa_Powered; 09 Jul 2012 at 02:40 pm.
Old 27 Jun 2012, 07:51 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I'd get the auto trans flushed as well as Timing belt & water pump - so for around $2,000, you should be set for a while - if you shop around for a better price.
I am guessing that the comments from those saying daughter should pay don't have older children....

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 27 Jun 2012, 07:55 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Surely it wouldn't make sense to do the above, and not replace the timing belt, would it? Not knowing the motor, I don't know if the work of replacing the Crankshaft Position Sensor might lessen the cost of the timing belt replacement.
I have not replaced a CPS on that engine, but I doubt there is any overlap in labor with the timing belt, and I know there isn't with the fan.

I think you are correct, if you want to keep the car, it makes sense to get the timing belt and water pump done.

Did the mechanic check the front end while he was at it? You may have control arm issues as well, depending on the last time the front end was worked on. Just a FYI.
Old 27 Jun 2012, 07:55 am
Fresh Cruiser

Lots of good thoughts, all. Thanks for that.
A few responses:
--Nah, the daughter's moving on. It's a car we gave her for high school graduation. I'm trying to determine how to deal with my investment: re-invigorate the car and keep it, or re-invigorate and sell. We're paying for a massive bathroom re-model. Putting $1800 in and selling for 4K would be wise, if those numbers shake out.
--I think the timing belt and water pump make sense. Both are original, and replacing it would lengthen the car's life and/or enhance re-sale. I suspect no one would buy a 150K Cruiser without a new belt.
--I haven't seen a ball park on a water pump replacement yet--anyone hazard a guess?
Thanks again.