Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Stuttering 2003

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Jun 2012, 10:53 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Stuttering 2003

My 2003 (Manual) has been running great - other than an annoying P0551 check-engine that I have ignored. I know it's the sensor, so was just waiting to have it replaced at the same time as my timing belt.

Took it to have the oil changed yesterday. They did a pre-treatment to get rid of gunk, checked the normal stuff. On the way to work today (having driven about 25 miles since the oil change), it stuttered and woudn't drive. Engine stayed on, changed gears, it would stutter then not drive. Pulled over, sat for 5 minutes, checked my engine code (still annoying P0551), no other codes, it was fine again until I got to work - about 12 miles further. Then, it repeated the stutter.

I checked my air filter intake, to make sure that nothing was caught in there. I don't see anything. Any other ideas?
Old 28 Jun 2012, 11:55 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Stuttering 2003

Could be a engine crank angle sensor starting to go out? Ours went and it studdered for a bit before it shut off completely. Once the computer cant read the crank it doesnt know when to fire. Other wise have you changed the fuel filter? Maybe not getting adaquate fuel or pump is not holding adaquate pressure.
Old 28 Jun 2012, 11:59 am
Fresh Cruiser

When did your's go out? I'm at 189K miles, and while I have lots of engine work done, this hasn't been looked at. I am seriously weighing pros & cons of getting a new car versus putting more into this one.
Old 28 Jun 2012, 06:05 pm
Senior Cruiser

Ice, at that mileage, it might be a good idea to get a new one. Now if you had an old classic that you loved for nostalgic reasons, that's another matter. But PT's have a few years to go before they do that.

Tim
Old 28 Jun 2012, 11:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I decided to get a new-to-me cruiser instead of investing anymore into this one. I am now the owner of a 2005 PT Cruiser Limited - Signature Edition. Love it! It's Champagne, only had 45K miles. WOOT!
Old 29 Jun 2012, 08:48 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by icerobinmomCruiser View Post
I decided to get a new-to-me cruiser instead of investing anymore into this one. I am now the owner of a 2005 PT Cruiser Limited - Signature Edition. Love it! It's Champagne, only had 45K miles. WOOT!
Nice find!

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Tags
stutter