PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
MSD Ignition Coil Help Please

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Jul 2012, 01:50 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default MSD Ignition Coil Help Please

I went to buy a MSD Ignition Coil for my 2003 High Output Turbo.
The guy said there are 2 paret numbers 8239 with the flat pins for the connection wire or 8229 for the round pin connection wire.
I cannot get acces to take the connectrion wire off to see what it is.
Does anyone know what the connection plug(the wire that connects to the coil) is it , flat or round?

Picture of flat pin:

Old 03 Jul 2012, 02:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: MSD Ignition Coil Help Please

MSD # 8239 flat pin

I believe that most all Chrysler engines are this anyway?

Make sure you use Dielectric grease on the spark plug boots.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."

Last edited by NitroPT; 03 Jul 2012 at 02:16 pm. Reason: added last line
Old 03 Jul 2012, 02:30 pm
Senior Cruiser

Don't waste your money on an aftermarket coil there will be nothing at all gained from it, the factory coil is the way to go and has proven to be a very good unit.

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS; 1989 Chevy Suburban 2500
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 03 Jul 2012, 02:35 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcktpwrd View Post
Don't waste your money on an aftermarket coil there will be nothing at all gained from it, the factory coil is the way to go and has proven to be a very good unit.
I am sure there is nothing wrong with my original but from what I have read about the MSD one it's suppossed to enhance better spark?
Has anyone else used this or another after market performance one on there cruiser and if so did you notice any improvement?
Old 03 Jul 2012, 02:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcktpwrd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzicmax View Post
I am sure there is nothing wrong with my original but from what I have read about the MSD one it's suppossed to enhance better spark?
Has anyone else used this or another after market performance one on there cruiser and if so did you notice any improvement?

The MSD uses quality material and the terminal ends will not corrode like some other aftermarket coils as well as some OEM.
The MSD will not improve any energy over the stock OEM coil. Both stock OEM coils and the MSD are 77:1 turns ratio. This means that the raise time and energy output is exactly the same.

The MSD is RED however so you will get a slight increase in HP based on the color allone!!!!

I have personally used, sold and have been sponsored by MSD products for some 30 plus years.
CREWZIN likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."

Last edited by NitroPT; 03 Jul 2012 at 02:45 pm. Reason: added color
Old 03 Jul 2012, 02:54 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
The MSD uses quality material and the terminal ends will not corrode like some other aftermarket coils as well as some OEM.
The MSD will not improve any energy over the stock OEM coil. Both stock OEM coils and the MSD are 77:1 turns ratio. This means that the raise time and energy output is exactly the same.

The MSD is RED however so you will get a slight increase in HP based on the color allone!!!!

I have personally used, sold and have been sponsored by MSD products for some 30 plus years.
Great stuff thanks! I thought I might get horsepower out of the red color lol.
So is the MSD # 8239 flat pin the correct one as NitroPT suggested?
Old 03 Jul 2012, 03:06 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Save your $$$$ ...those MSD coils get burned pretty easily with the PTs engine bay heat... OEM is much better
Old 03 Jul 2012, 03:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtrmDC2 View Post
Save your $$$$ ...those MSD coils get burned pretty easily with the PTs engine bay heat... OEM is much better
DITTO! You need to buy the heat shield if you're going to install an MSD coil on a PT Turbo. Especially if you're running with the vanity cover on your engine. The MSD cannot take the heat and will break down in 24 months or so, depending on how much you drive it.

I keep asking people, why on earth would you replace the OEM coil? Makes no sense to me what so ever... fyi, there is NO GAIN from these aftermarket coils unless you're going to buy a race coil. I can direct you to a couple of dealers who do custom race coils and will build them for the PT, but they are around $325 each.
XtrmDC2 likes this.
Old 03 Jul 2012, 03:30 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
DITTO! You need to buy the heat shield if you're going to install an MSD coil on a PT Turbo. Especially if you're running with the vanity cover on your engine. The MSD cannot take the heat and will break down in 24 months or so, depending on how much you drive it.

I keep asking people, why on earth would you replace the OEM coil? Makes no sense to me what so ever... fyi, there is NO GAIN from these aftermarket coils unless you're going to buy a race coil. I can direct you to a couple of dealers who do custom race coils and will build them for the PT, but they are around $325 each.
Thanks I guess if it's not broken why fix it Mine is working fine....
Thanks for the imput fellas
Old 03 Jul 2012, 04:26 pm
Veteran Cruiser

also, here's another reason not to buy it. most MSD stuff is now made in china. i know this says "blaster ss coil", but it is true for most of their product.
>>
The Blaster SS coil is actually built in China. This coil was designed by us and is currently being built overseas. The coil dimensions etc. are built to our specification as well and should be correct. We test every coil that is received to ensure proper specs and coil function before being packaged and shipped. We do stand behind them 100% is there is any troubles. We do manufacture all of the ignition boxes distributors etc. here in El Paso and the couple pieces we do have manufactured out of house again we stand behind 100%. I did check the template printed in the instructions and they are exact the coil. On the back of then instructions there is a form number and a date can you give me this information and I will look into this to see if there was a misprint or something.

Thanks,

MSD tech4
<<

i stick with mallory for electronics now. still made in USA.