Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Transmission Woes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Jul 2012, 02:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy Transmission Woes

My PT is a 2001 with over 148K miles. I was just informed this morning (7/6) that my transmission is going. I've found on this forum that the whining and skipping was fixed with a replacement transmission filter and flushing of the fluid. Apparently my Nellie Belle was showing all kinds of errors. I'm going to bring her to another transmission garage for a second opinion, but I wanted to get some feedback from other PT lovers out there. 1. Has anyone else had to replace their transmission? Cost? 2. Has anyone experienced whining and shift skipping? If so, what fixed it? 3. Would you pay $2000-$2200 to have the transmission fixed to keep your PT?

I really love my PT, but the Kelley Blue Book value states that it will be worth less than $1,000 since it is not in Good Condition.
Old 05 Jul 2012, 03:06 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Transmission Woes

PT's are worth a lot- Sold an '01 for $3k, and people were champing at the bit to get it.

Question I'd have is what else are you getting for the $2k it costs?

You could try to repair yourself- Internal wearing parts are cheap-
You'd need a reman torque converter, too
There's a electronic 'FSM' (factory manual) that has step by step instructions-
Think someone did a write up on 'fixes' for this trans, too
You wouldn't have anything to lose.
Old 05 Jul 2012, 04:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

$1200 would be a big price in my area. Have you considered a reman. Or a used with decant miles. Or as above give it a go yourself. But I have a guy who tells me what I need to know on tranny's. So maybe that is a stretch for you.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 05 Jul 2012, 05:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

In my area a couple shops are offering about 950 installed (trans and labor) with 1 year warranty on inspected units? Check you local Craigslist you might be surprised what you find with licenced and reputable service shops in your area.

Master kits are around $200-300+ And as UpTownSport commented you would still need a re-man torque converter at about $50-100 exchange?
There are also some special tools need to do the rebuild correctly so you would have to find a source to borrow them. And don't forget fluid, gasket sealer, cleaners, etc it all adds up.

I have looked around and have not as yet found any good information soruce on upgraded or modified Auto transmission. Maybe someone can fill us both in with that?
I have looked at a breakdown and I think I could machine the clutch cage to except a few more discs? Not sure what to do to the valve body except the usulla to increase valve pressures. Most is through the ECU and I have not even started to look at that yet. But until I get a core tranny to do a "frog" dissection ( ) on its all speculation on my part.

I will be following this thread to see what responses come in for you. I hope you choose to repair your PT and keep him!

Good Luck!
Old 05 Jul 2012, 05:58 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

We see a few tranny problems at our dealership, espeically when they haven't been properly serviced.

As for worth, that depends entirely on market. In my market, for example, they're not worth much. You practically can't even give them away.